Pumpkin Season & Feeding

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
This is the time of year that I have access to pumpkin... if my torts were huge beasts, I´d just chuck the pumpkins in whole, but theyŕe not, so I don´t.

What I do instead is break the pumpkins down and store them in three different forms.

pumpkin-guts-1-889x671.jpg

First, I scoop out the pumpkin guts and put them in a gallon ziploc bag (or a few) and press them flat... I this so that when I freeze them, I can later break off a chunk more easily.

There are studies out there (here´s one) supporting the idea that pumpkin seeds have antiparasitic properties, but theyŕe not done with torts so of questionable applicability... I use the guts (with seeds) as a food, but assume that they are also of benefit in helping to control the gut biota of my torts.

how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash.jpg

Next, I strip away at the flesh on the inside of the pumpkin with a strong fork... I used one of my titanium camping forks because otherwise I might bend a piece of the flatware we got as a wedding present and I´d be in trouble. It comes out looking a bit like thin spaghetti.

Again, I like to freeze this stuff in ziploc bags, frozen in thin, flat layers so that it´s easy to break off for feeding later.

I saved out about a half-cup of this stuff to give to my torts fresh at the end of the process, and although all of them had already eaten for the day, and a few of them had headed into their hides, the smell of the fresh pumpkin brought them all out and all 5 torts scarfed down the tablespoon or three that I gave them.

pumpkin-flesh-cubed-800x600.jpg

The last method I use in breaking down the pumpkin is hacking it to pieces with a cleaver, then chopping the meat clear of the skin. I do this because I´m not sure of what, if any treatments and chemicals have been sprayed onto the skin. I freeze these chunks in ziplocs again, but don´t worry about pressing them flat, because it´s easy enough to break it apart when frozen.

In this way, yesterday afternoon, I broke a $4 pumpkin down into dozens of meals, in three distinct forms, for my five tortoises. I don´t feed any of my torts solely on pumpkin, but use it as a part of their varied diets.

Jamie

Zoeclare

Uk
How long does the pumpkin keep in the freezer? I normally buy the little mini ones for Nitro when they are in season but this would be so much more economical!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use it all up in a few months, but it's still good by the end... I think if I packed it into smaller bags, and really pressed them flat before sealing them, they'd be good for a year in the freezer (because they only really degrade once I start opening and closing then regularly).

J

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are not large enough to bite of whole chunks of pumpkin "meat" themselves, I prefer to grate it. I've seen tortoises choke to death on cubes. When they bite it off themselves, the chances can never be too big or the wrong shape for swallowing. Grating is a better, safer, way to go in my experience.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If they are not large enough to bite of whole chunks of pumpkin "meat" themselves, I prefer to grate it. I've seen tortoises choke to death on cubes. When they bite it off themselves, the chances can never be too big or the wrong shape for swallowing. Grating is a better, safer, way to go in my experience.
Yup, when I take the chunks out of the freezer I dice them pretty small or greater them... thanks for pointing out!

J

Reactions: Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This is the time of year that I have access to pumpkin... if my torts were huge beasts, I´d just chuck the pumpkins in whole, but theyŕe not, so I don´t.

What I do instead is break the pumpkins down and store them in three different forms.

View attachment 307684

First, I scoop out the pumpkin guts and put them in a gallon ziploc bag (or a few) and press them flat... I this so that when I freeze them, I can later break off a chunk more easily.

There are studies out there (here´s one) supporting the idea that pumpkin seeds have antiparasitic properties, but theyŕe not done with torts so of questionable applicability... I use the guts (with seeds) as a food, but assume that they are also of benefit in helping to control the gut biota of my torts.

View attachment 307685

Next, I strip away at the flesh on the inside of the pumpkin with a strong fork... I used one of my titanium camping forks because otherwise I might bend a piece of the flatware we got as a wedding present and I´d be in trouble. It comes out looking a bit like thin spaghetti.

Again, I like to freeze this stuff in ziploc bags, frozen in thin, flat layers so that it´s easy to break off for feeding later.

I saved out about a half-cup of this stuff to give to my torts fresh at the end of the process, and although all of them had already eaten for the day, and a few of them had headed into their hides, the smell of the fresh pumpkin brought them all out and all 5 torts scarfed down the tablespoon or three that I gave them.

View attachment 307686

The last method I use in breaking down the pumpkin is hacking it to pieces with a cleaver, then chopping the meat clear of the skin. I do this because I´m not sure of what, if any treatments and chemicals have been sprayed onto the skin. I freeze these chunks in ziplocs again, but don´t worry about pressing them flat, because it´s easy enough to break it apart when frozen.

In this way, yesterday afternoon, I broke a $4 pumpkin down into dozens of meals, in three distinct forms, for my five tortoises. I don´t feed any of my torts solely on pumpkin, but use it as a part of their varied diets.

Jamie

Yep, and it was a good year for pumpkins. Twenty pounders on sale at our local Lidl store for $1.99/each. Can’t beat that for value.