Pulled this out of neighbors dog mouth...red painted turtle?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Poor guy, that's a three toed box turtle. I wonder why it's skin is red like that though?

Lizastarr

McAlester
Poor guy, that's a three toed box turtle. I wonder why it's skin is red like that though?
He/she has a lot of red...legs...head...no clue? There was another one i got out of the dogs mouth just after this one, definately was a typical box turtle....i let them both go but decided to ask about this one.

Lizastarr

McAlester
I thought it might be a red reflection from a bulb maybe?
Hi Maggie....nope, i had them outside in a box with greens and water for a few hours for them to calm down. The dog had this one for at least 10 minutes chewing on him before we rescued him. The other one was luckier, just a minute at most in the dogs jaws.
This turtle has red throughout his legs and his neck...no bulb reflection at all. A very curious boy once he had some time alone in a dark quiet place. He walked all over me on my lap. :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi Maggie....nope, i had them outside in a box with greens and water for a few hours for them to calm down. The dog had this one for at least 10 minutes chewing on him before we rescued him. The other one was luckier, just a minute at most in the dogs jaws.
This turtle has red throughout his legs and his neck...no bulb reflection at all. A very curious boy once he had some time alone in a dark quiet place. He walked all over me on my lap. :)
It was cool of you to save them....dogs aren't trying to be mean (mostly), turtles are just a new different toy to them...

Lizastarr

McAlester
It was cool of you to save them....dogs aren't trying to be mean (mostly), turtles are just a new different toy to them...
For sure...this is a big husky mix pup named Dakota...he was tossing them around and goofing off. Neighbor said it was an old potato she threw out in the weeds...not!!

jeneliza

burton michigan
Glad you saved them, however raw potatoes, are not good for dogs either, and can cause liver damage, so you would have saved an animal today either way:)