Puffy Watery Eyes and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Okay this time something is wrong with my tortoise. His/Her eyes are looking puffy and are watery.and the skin in the shell by his/her front n back legs are puffy n feel like they r full of air. What is wrong? I really need help! and the vet is really spendy here! I will take him in if i have to but Im hoping someone knows excactly whats going on here!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
The puffy, watery eyes sounds like he is much too dry. First thing I would do is give him a good warm soak.

Put him in a container of water that is just deep enough to cover the bridge between the upper and lower shell. The water should be reasonably warm to the touch, but not hot.

You can keep the water warmer longer by setting it on a heating pad, near a register vent, or putting a heat lamp over it. He may put his entire head under the water and drink in long gulps. Do not be alarmed, he will not drown. Soak for 15-20 minutes.

If the eyes are still puffy tomorrow, go get yourself some baby food squash, carrots, or sweet potatoes, and soak him again, this time stirring the jar of baby food into the soaking water.

The puffiness of the hindquarters could be associated with dehydration. Unfortunately, a lot of times it signifies renal failure, and the only way to check for this is to have the vet do a blood panel. First things first, get him hydrated and go from there.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Thankyou! That was the first thing i did was soak him in warm water in the sink.n his "air filled" skin around all four of his legs is gone. eyes r still puffy n lil watery. I guess I should soak him more that every 3days.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I had the same problem with my Red foot in his 1st year.
I was 20 or so, immature and cheap, so no vet. but crazy soaking got him completely back to normal pretty quickly .

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh yes, I would soak every day if there seems to a be a problem.

I need to ask - what is your set up like? How big, what is the lighting, temperatures, and substrate? Do you have UV lighting? What kind/brand are your bulbs? Are there hides?

Is there a water bowl available at all times? What are you feeding?

Something isn't right if he is becoming dehydrated and having eye issues. I would try the baby food soak tomorrow, and see how he does. Let us know the details I asked for so we can try to figure out what is going on. It is important to keep him very hydrated, if it is kidney related, it will help keep him from going toxic.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
his cage is 2.5-3ft long 1ft deep and 1.5ft high. I use a small paint roller try with water in it so he can walk in n out of it and he has a hiding box too.and on the other side of the cage there is nothing.just two heat sources. One heat lamp n on Uvb( i think)I know the box says it gives off nat sun light n vitamins.I got the lights at petco or petsmart. The temp is around 85-90deg during the day n nothing at night.I know I need to get a blacklight for the night time for him. His bedding is wood shavings but tomorrow Im changing it to coconut. I feed him Spring Mix, green beans(some times)and Mazuri tortoise food. And I am young.I am not cheap It is just I cannot afford to spend $50plus every time I think there is something wrong with one of my 6pets.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Jenna311 said:
his cage is 2.5-3ft long 1ft deep and 1.5ft high. I use a small paint roller try with water in it so he can walk in n out of it and he has a hiding box too.and on the other side of the cage there is nothing.just two heat sources. One heat lamp n on Uvb( i think)I know the box says it gives off nat sun light n vitamins.I got the lights at petco or petsmart. The temp is around 85-90deg during the day n nothing at night.I know I need to get a blacklight for the night time for him. His bedding is wood shavings but tomorrow Im changing it to coconut. I feed him Spring Mix, green beans(some times)and Mazuri tortoise food. And I am young.I am not cheap It is just I cannot afford to spend $50plus every time I think there is something wrong with one of my 6pets.

I'm sorry if you took it as me saying you were young and cheap.
I was referring only to myself at the time. Point being that I had the same issue , and got through it w/o a vet .

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The UV bulb - is it the long florescent kind, or the coil kind?

How big is your tortoise? Are you able to get a good temperature gradient in an enclosure that is that small? I suggest investing in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub or Christmas tree storage box as soon as you can.

A damp substrate like the coconut coir would definitely be better. What are the night temp temps in your house? 70's are okay, low 80's are better. Just a regular incandescent black light bulb will help keep the heat up at night, and are cheap at Walmart, etc. I would also put a hide on the warm side of the enclosure.

I am also going to be a bit brutal here. I understand being young, and I understand not having a ton of money. But if that were the case I would make sure to have emergency funds set aside. If your tortoise turns out to be in fact suffering from renal failure and you do not take him to a vet, he very well can die. You may find yourself wishing that you had spent the $50.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Guido (thats his/her name) i dont know how long.but he weights 1.25lbs. How can I keep him safe in a tub? I have a cat who will use him as a toy if i leave him in an uncovered tub. And we keep our house at 78deg all day. I have no problem spending the $50. and I already have. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago when I thought he was breathing funny.but the vet said it was normal n he was just scared and he looked healthy.but his eyes also were not puffy or watery then.

Also Im soaking him right now with warm water and carrot baby food(it was the only veggie baby food i had left at my work) and he seems to love it.he is actually sitting in it and not trying to climb out.

Oh and his UV light is a coil.

M

Maggie Cummings

Get rid of the light right now. Coil lights have cause damaged eyes blindness and death. I am serious as all heck. You can use a regular incandescent light until you can afford a better UVB bulb, but I am not kidding right this minute take out that bulb...I had a hatchling blinded by those bulbs and I can show you the write up they did on them...I'll find the link...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I concur with Maggie. Stop using the coil bulb immediately. They are dangerous and cause eye problems. That may be the root of your problem right there.

I for one do not use a UV light with my Redfoots, and may others do not as well. Redfoots like lower lighting, mine get sunshine outside during the summer and during the winter they get D3 from the fish that I feed them. If you want to use UV, I recommend getting a long florescent tube one, 5.0 or less.

I have 5 cats and 18 tortoises, including a hatchling that is less than 2" long. Where there is a will there is a way. For one you can cut the center of the lid of the tub out with a utility knife, and silicone welded wire in place to set the lights on. All in all with the tub, wire and silicone it would take a couple hours of work and cost around $20. A brick of the coconut coir is around $3, and you could have a bigger, humid space for your tort.

By temperature gradient I don't mean too cold, I mean too hot. If the enclosure is small and your house temp is 78*, what is the cool side of the enclosure? Do you have a thermometer to check? If it is too warm it can be adding to dehydration.

I am not trying to pick on you, I am trying to help you. To get your little guy/gal 100% healthy, some changes should be made. Don't feel like I am trying to make you feel bad, I am not. I just want you to know that these things are important.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
The light is now gone! Poor Guido! I do not take ne of this a neg only as help. And I thank all of you for this! And I am hoping by Jan or Feb I can build him a nice out door cage for him to live in. (I live in Las Vegas, Nv) So that should help him with the space issue. And I will make sure to have all the right things for outside.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Good, hopefully you will see an improvement over the next couple of days. Keep soaking him and keep him really well hydrated. I mist mine 3-4 times a day. I keep a little spray bottle right next to the enclosure and just do it every time I walk by. It really helps.

When you build outside, make sure Guido has lots of shade and access to lots of water. Las Vegas is hot! ;) I am sure you know that. :)

Jenna311

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Good, hopefully you will see an improvement over the next couple of days. Keep soaking him and keep him really well hydrated. I mist mine 3-4 times a day. I keep a little spray bottle right next to the enclosure and just do it every time I walk by. It really helps.

When you build outside, make sure Guido has lots of shade and access to lots of water. Las Vegas is hot! ;) I am sure you know that. :)

I will keep u all updated! and Yes we have plenty of shade n water! I have 4000sqft yard n i plan on giving him at least 1000sqft of the yard.

Thankyou for all ur help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.