Pryamiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AesopTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ky
Only had this guy a month and from what I'm told he should be about 15 months old. This looks like significant pyramiding to me but I'm not an expert. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-463170162.png
    image-463170162.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 97

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes he is pyramiding. Not as bad as you probably think. Get him housed the correct way and you can start to grow in smooth growth.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
From what i can see in the picture it does not look that bad. Hydration, proper diet and lots of natural sunshine will keep you on the right track.

AesopTortoise

5 Year Member
Ky
I got him on a good diet w/ calcium/vit. D supplement, UVB bulb and plenty of heat and humidity. Hope that's enough.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Mine has a lot worse pyramiding than that and people say mine isn't that bad. I have a very hard time with humidity. So as long as you have him on the right diet and housing he should be fine :D

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I take it you keep him indoors, right? Just make sure this summer that you get him outdoors as much as possible. I would mist him daily unless you have some other way to keep your humidity up..and i still soak mine daily. And lots just make sure your bulb isn't a coil type bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DaisyDuke said:
Mine has a lot worse pyramiding than that and people say mine isn't that bad. I have a very hard time with humidity. So as long as you have him on the right diet and housing he should be fine :D

If you have him inside in an enclosure, cover the enclosure. That will help get the humidity up.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
AesopTortoise said:
Only had this guy a month and from what I'm told he should be about 15 months old. This looks like significant pyramiding to me but I'm not an expert. What do you think?

I definitely would not call that "significant pyramiding." Very minor pyramiding is a more accurate description.

AesopTortoise said:
I got him on a good diet w/ calcium/vit. D supplement, UVB bulb and plenty of heat and humidity. Hope that's enough.

You've got all your bases covered. When he's all grown, you'll hardly notice those very slight raises in his shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Minor, not significant. Big enclosure, lots of sunshine and exercise, and a humid hide will go a long way toward helping too.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
If you have him inside in an enclosure, cover the enclosure. That will help get the humidity up.

I do have it covered. I've had him a few years and tried ALL of the different possible ways to bring up the humidity. I made a thread a year or two ago about it and got a lot of wonderful advice. I just look at it now that it will be a constant struggle for me but thankfully he is very healthy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.