Proud Parent if an African Spurred Tortoise

Jason-AfricanSpined

Location (City and/or State)
Heber City, Utah
Hello Everyone
As of two days ago I am a proud parent to a beautiful African Spurred tortoise. The previous owner lost interest in the tortoise so I purchased it from him.

Here is what I was told. Spartacus is 13 years old, about 14 inches long. His shells us very rough and shows some signs of pyramiding. I live on 1.3 acres that I am hoping to allow Spartacus to roam the back yard when the weather permits and I'm sure he can't get under the fence.
Which brings me to my first question. If Spartacus gets out and a neighbor finds him, can you safely tag their shell? I know I can microchip him, but most people won't take the time to take the tortoise to a vet or shelter. Today he snuck under my rought iron fence twice. Not fun trying to find him when he's out hiding. It would be great to have him carry a big red flag or sonar beacon on him, making finding him in the evening much easier.

The house that came with him is terrible so I will be building a new one this week.

Looking forward to learning as much as possible through this group.

Jason

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
As far as him getting out of your property I'd be very careful. Especially with dogs. Make sure stray dogs can't get on your property we hear about dogs killing tortoises on here way too much unfortunately. Always lots of good info on here to read. Good luck. -Gus

Spannerz

Welcome,

Despite the obvious issues, he's a real beaut!!

Great to hear he's getting a second chance in life with someone who obviously cares a great deal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jason!

It would be a very good idea to fix the gates and fences so that he can't get out. That's much easier than trying to find him once he's escaped...and escape he will. You can position a 1x12 board across the bottom of the gate, either in front of it or behind it, that way the board inhibits his squeezing under. Then if you do it correctly, you can lift up the board when you want to bring things through, like lawn mowers. I use wooden stakes and make a slot the board slips into.

You can clean off the center of one of the scutes right above his tail, dry it well, then affix one of your return address labels to the center of the scute. If you paint it over with clean nail polish it will last longer. But be careful to not get any polish on the new growth areas.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My guy was such an escape artist with his previous owner that she wrote her phone number on his shell with marker. It's been a year and a half since he's lived with her and the number is still visible. I'm sure there's a better solution to what she did to my guy. I like the label idea.

He will explore every inch of his new surroundings and constantly be looking for a way home. Secure the area so he can't escape and once he decides that is hi new home he should mellow out a bit. Each tort is different and some will never stop pushing the fence trying to get out an others are perfectly content.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jason welcome to the TFO from AZ. But please remember they are just children be kind , caring , and tolerant . They are worth it . And have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome! Your guy looks like he needs some tlc. So glad you found him. He's going to need a good diet, calcium, humidity, and uv rays to help him along. Welcome to the forum. Read everything you can on sulcatas :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the TFO. Good to have you here!!

Prairie Mom

How long did it take before your sulcata stopped hissing at you every time you get near him?
Any tips on building his trust with me?
I love that you are asking this question! The fact that you are concerned about this shows, Spartacus is in the right home. You may even consider posting a new thread about it, because I'd love to see how the forum members respond.

We recently found a little sulcata that no one seems to be claiming and are doing what we can to make her a permanent family member. Our sulcata is very young and started out very frightened, but is getting calmer and more peaceful each day. It sounds like Spartacus was really neglected. With neglect comes TRAUMA. Yes, animals do feel trauma--which can be caused by extreme stress for a long period of time. Living in poor conditions for 13 years would be traumatic!

My husband and I have a family full of animals and even little people with some extensive trauma histories. Some of our animals and little people have adapted to the new, safe, and caring environment way faster than others. We have some beasties that struggle to trust even after many years. I think that they worry whether this good home is really permanent and will continue to be good and loving. Spartacus is probably waiting for the moment that things will turn "bad" again. The poor guy has probably been stressed for so long that it may take him even longer to calm down and get out of fight or flight mode.

I'd love to hear what other tortoise owners have to say, but my personal advice to you is Be patient and DON'T take it personally. I'm certain he will improve, but don't feel hurt if it does take him a long time. The best thing you could do for Spartacus is to develop an extremely predictable and consistent routine that includes things he enjoys like roaming outside and eating yummy food. I would suggest trying to do those things at the same time each day if possible. He will feel safer with you the more he sees his day unfold in a predictable pattern. Meanwhile, keep accepting him for who he is and whether or not he is willing to show trust. I'm so glad that Spartacus is finally with someone who cares about his well-being! So glad he is with you! Take care:)

Alaskamike

South Florida
How long did it take before your sulcata stopped hissing at you every time you get near him?
Any tips on building his trust with me?
Hope you have a long relationship with this sully. I just rescued one myself , but younger than yours.

The hissing is an expelling of air when the head is pulled in suddenly. Not an angry or aggressive thing. Response to protection / fear

This is only my second sulcata. But one thing I know about them very well is they are expert escape artists. They push and dig.
If they can see through something - like a screen , glass or chain link fence they seem to assume they can GET through it. Using an obstacle that is solid is a big help.

I would consider digging down a foot or two and installing a barrier all around the fence. I know this probably sounds crazy. But it can save an escape. Another thing that can help is creating a humid hide away from the fence line. Build something to replace the need to dig a burrow and he might just use that and not dig his own. There are several examples on the forum of these.
Good fortune.