Proud new Daddy!

Scubaroo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Sorry -
You asked a couple questions - here's my input

Personality: they tend to be shy as babies, Much more than sulcata , or any other I've raised. Cautious and slow ( unless running away scared ). I noticed this with mine., especially 1st 2 yrs. & she is still much shyer than my Sulcata's. As they age , get bigger, they get more bold.

Eating: My CupCake eats slow too. If I pick her up & set her in front of a piles of favorite foods like hibiscus flowers & leaves. She might sit there looking at it for 5 minutes before eating. Weird. My sully would've had it all gone by then.

Having said that. Others may have different experiences. Like all animals, they do have personalities ( tendencies ).

My Albus will do the same, sit and look at the food for several minutes before he starts eating. Also, he seems to hate when i watch him eat. he will just stop mid bite and stare at me until i walk away. It's adorable to me.

Kittivan

Chicago
My Albus will do the same, sit and look at the food for several minutes before he starts eating. Also, he seems to hate when i watch him eat. he will just stop mid bite and stare at me until i walk away. It's adorable to me.

LOL. I know what you mean, I feel like a stalker tip toeing and sneaking up out of her view just to watch her eat. It's like you have to be a ninja so you don't disturb your baby Aldabra eating.

It's been a little over a month now since I've had her and she has become more bold with her eating habits.

Kittivan

Chicago
6 mos old is about when I got my " CupCake". Has been fun watching her ( could be him ) grow. Still a baby at 3 & 1/2.

Knowing she will one day be 100ds of lbs is amazing. It's like raising a pre historic beast.

I think you'll find good support and encouragement here. If you ever have questions be sure to ask. I'm convinced some of the most knowledgeable and sincere tort keepers are members here. Someone will have solid ideas and respond.

It's been great to have a running thread on several who raise them. You can see the growth & progress. Good place to keep a log.

Good fortune to you & your new baby.

Thanks Mike! Cupcake is a fine example of what I wish Kaci will be like when she's older.

Kittivan

Chicago
IMG_3726.JPG IMG_3760.JPG **Weekly update**
Last week 524 grams
Weight on 10/8 546 grams

This past week has been a bit of a rollercoaster with Kacie. Even though it's only been around 5 weeks since I got her, I've spent enough time with her to realize the subtlest changes in her behavior. Last Sunday evening I noticed that she wasn't quite herself. She wasn't lathargic but she wasn't moving around with the same fluidity that she normally does. I figured it might be because she just woke up or what not and really didn't give it much thought.

The next morning I pulled her out of her hide and placed her in front of her favorite greens and she didn't pay any attention to them. At that point I would say that she was lathargic. I tried not to worry and thought maybe she just needed to warm up more. Sometimes she will sit under the sun or heat lamp for 30 min and then start to roam. After some time she really didn't move much so I tried to entice her appetite with a tiny bite sized piece of watermelon. I put it in the middle of her pile of food and she slowly worked her way to it and ate it. Then she nibbled on some of the greens and just went back to her hide. I let her be for a few hours with hopes she would come out on her own to eat. No such luck. Later in the day it was time for her soak so I put her in some nice warm water for 30 min and put her back in front of her food which she ignored and went back to her hide. At this point I knew for sure she was sick but wasn't showing any URI or LRI indications like foam/bubbles from the mouth or nose or even labored breathing. Humidity was good at Around 70-80% and cool end temps were 80 for the low and basking area was in the upper 90's to 105.

After seeing she might be sick I raised the low end temp to 85 and started giving her warm soaks 3 times a day. After a day she became more active but still didn't want to eat. On the 2nd day she showed slight interest in nibbling her food but showed improved signs in movement. However, after 2.5 days of not eating she had went from 524 grams to 460 grams. That had me a bit worried so I told myself if she didn't eat the next morning I wild bring her in to the vet. Sure enough th next morning she was eating and eating very well. What a sigh of relief. I haven't been that stressed in a long time. In the back of my mind I figured I was over reacting since there weren't any significant signs of illness other than loss of apetite or being lathargic, but I was still one really stressed out Dad!

I went back to soaking once daily but kept the low end temp at 82. She has since being sick gained all the weight back and then some. I never thought I could lose sleep over a turtle but sure did. I'm thinking it was just a slight cold that she needed to shake and by increasing the temps and soaks, helped boost her immune system and finally shake it off.

Scubaroo

Florida
View attachment 220071 View attachment 220072 **Weekly update**
Last week 524 grams
Weight on 10/8 546 grams

This past week has been a bit of a rollercoaster with Kacie. Even though it's only been around 5 weeks since I got her, I've spent enough time with her to realize the subtlest changes in her behavior. Last Sunday evening I noticed that she wasn't quite herself. She wasn't lathargic but she wasn't moving around with the same fluidity that she normally does. I figured it might be because she just woke up or what not and really didn't give it much thought.

The next morning I pulled her out of her hide and placed her in front of her favorite greens and she didn't pay any attention to them. At that point I would say that she was lathargic. I tried not to worry and thought maybe she just needed to warm up more. Sometimes she will sit under the sun or heat lamp for 30 min and then start to roam. After some time she really didn't move much so I tried to entice her appetite with a tiny bite sized piece of watermelon. I put it in the middle of her pile of food and she slowly worked her way to it and ate it. Then she nibbled on some of the greens and just went back to her hide. I let her be for a few hours with hopes she would come out on her own to eat. No such luck. Later in the day it was time for her soak so I put her in some nice warm water for 30 min and put her back in front of her food which she ignored and went back to her hide. At this point I knew for sure she was sick but wasn't showing any URI or LRI indications like foam/bubbles from the mouth or nose or even labored breathing. Humidity was good at Around 70-80% and cool end temps were 80 for the low and basking area was in the upper 90's to 105.

After seeing she might be sick I raised the low end temp to 85 and started giving her warm soaks 3 times a day. After a day she became more active but still didn't want to eat. On the 2nd day she showed slight interest in nibbling her food but showed improved signs in movement. However, after 2.5 days of not eating she had went from 524 grams to 460 grams. That had me a bit worried so I told myself if she didn't eat the next morning I wild bring her in to the vet. Sure enough th next morning she was eating and eating very well. What a sigh of relief. I haven't been that stressed in a long time. In the back of my mind I figured I was over reacting since there weren't any significant signs of illness other than loss of apetite or being lathargic, but I was still one really stressed out Dad!

I went back to soaking once daily but kept the low end temp at 82. She has since being sick gained all the weight back and then some. I never thought I could lose sleep over a turtle but sure did. I'm thinking it was just a slight cold that she needed to shake and by increasing the temps and soaks, helped boost her immune system and finally shake it off.
I am so glad she is doing better.
And that butt pic just kills me! I love it

Alaskamike

South Florida
I've noticed active days ; eats allot, and walks allot - as well as more sedintary days with CupCake. She has days when she doesn't seem to be much interested in grazing at all & just sits in her hide.

This worried me sometimes. But over the time I've had her I do see a pattern. She will eat allot. And then it seems she just wants to sit and digest. What calmed me down was taking her weights once a week & seeing she didn't loose weight. Eyes bright , no sign of respitory problems. Just lethargic.

I also found that weight does vary some dependent on how much feces she is carrying.

But like all animals, they can get " under the weather" so to speak, and have a few slow days.

You were right to be concerned. Glad Kacie is back to her old self. When we watch them very closely we learn their patterns and can see a change immediately.

Keep us posted. Luv the updates & photos. The more keepers we have raising them & posting- the more we all learn from each other.

Kittivan

Chicago
I've noticed active days ; eats allot, and walks allot - as well as more sedintary days with CupCake. She has days when she doesn't seem to be much interested in grazing at all & just sits in her hide.

This worried me sometimes. But over the time I've had her I do see a pattern. She will eat allot. And then it seems she just wants to sit and digest. What calmed me down was taking her weights once a week & seeing she didn't loose weight. Eyes bright , no sign of respitory problems. Just lethargic.

I also found that weight does vary some dependent on how much feces she is carrying.

But like all animals, they can get " under the weather" so to speak, and have a few slow days.

You were right to be concerned. Glad Kacie is back to her old self. When we watch them very closely we learn their patterns and can see a change immediately.

Keep us posted. Luv the updates & photos. The more keepers we have raising them & posting- the more we all learn from each other.

Thank you for the reply. This is reassuring for me to hear another keeper of an Aldabra see what I'm seeing with Kacie. Just like you said, a few days of full beast mode with eating and then days where she slows down. Im happy that her weight has consistently gone up week to week and I guess that should be my first indicator of her health. Of course clear eyes and activity level as well. Thanks for your input!

Kittivan

Chicago
IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3872.JPG **Weekly update**

Last week 546 grams
10/15 596 grams

I've noticed Kacie's appetite has increased this week. She's been leaving nothing left on her plate. I swapped out her zoomed repti-sun 10.0 UVB and 150 watt basking lamp for the zoomed powersun MVB 150 watt and a 150 watt ceramic lamp for the nighttime. She now sits out there and basks much more than I've noticed before. I don't know if this is all a conicednce or if the new appetite and increased basking is due to the new lighting set up. This weekend I plan on building her enclosure out from 4x8 to a 10x10.

She's still pretty skittish but making slow ninja like movements puts her at ease. LOL. I'm considering getting another Aldabra sometime in December or January but might jus wait until we move. I really think Kacie would love a new companion but the thought of 2 adult Aldabra in the future scares me!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good progress !
It’s fun to see one of the giants grow. My CupCake has been a blast. Even at 3 & 1/2 she is still slower & shyer than my Sulcata’s.

I do wish I’d gotten 2 when I got her. But it’s not because I think she is Lonely, -just for me :) They do seem to be fine in groups of their own kind. But I can’t let my Leopard or Sulcata together with her. They both wanna mount her - even though they are smaller.

Will probably keep my Leopard. He’s about 5 now. But the silly’s ( I have one at 17lbs, the other 50 lbs) will need rehoming. CupCake will need the entire yard.

But I’m several years from that. CupCake grows from 6-9% / month. Slows a bit in our 3 months of “ winter “ which in South Florida is still warm days.

I enjoy your updates !

Kittivan

Chicago
Good progress !
It’s fun to see one of the giants grow. My CupCake has been a blast. Even at 3 & 1/2 she is still slower & shyer than my Sulcata’s.

I do wish I’d gotten 2 when I got her. But it’s not because I think she is Lonely, -just for me :) They do seem to be fine in groups of their own kind. But I can’t let my Leopard or Sulcata together with her. They both wanna mount her - even though they are smaller.

Will probably keep my Leopard. He’s about 5 now. But the silly’s ( I have one at 17lbs, the other 50 lbs) will need rehoming. CupCake will need the entire yard.

But I’m several years from that. CupCake grows from 6-9% / month. Slows a bit in our 3 months of “ winter “ which in South Florida is still warm days.

I enjoy your updates !

Thanks Mike! Cupcake has gotten so big so fast. She's got great ideal growth too. I remember reading that your sulcata were rescues. I'm sure you have done a great job with them considering your husbandry with your Aldabra. Surely you will find them great homes. I love my sulcata but in a different way than my Aldabra. It's like a father's love for his daughter is differnt than that of his son, pretty much the only way I can explain it. I have never put my sulcata with my Aldabra. Maybe in the future under close supervision but not yet. Another member Ben had a 4-5 yr old leopard which he housed with his Aldabra for years without incident until the leopard bit his Aldabra during a mount attempt. Ben eventually rehomed his leopard.

I love reading updates on fellow keepers' aldabra. I especially love the pics! We are such a small community when you think about it so as much information we can share with one another the better care we can give to our babies.

Kittivan

Chicago
***Weekly Update***

9/4 - 446 grams
9/11 - 491
9/21 - 508
9/29 - 524
10/8 - 546
10/15 - 596
10/22 - 648

9/11 plastron measurement 4 1/3 inch
SL measurement 4 3/4 inch

10/22 plastron measurement 4 3/4 inch
SL measurement 5 1/2 inch

Kacie's increased appetite continued through this week. I measured her this week and was suprised to see how much she has grown! I figured she grew somewhat based on her increased weight but I didn't expect her to have grown a half an inch (both plastron & SL) in around 5 weeks. She seems to be getting into her routine and I think that contributes to her increased apetite. Her shell seems to be growing into a high dome shape, thinking she will be one with a high dome =).IMG_3908.JPGIMG_3909.JPGIMG_3918.JPG

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Sorry i just read your thread.
Yes indeed, i was having same experience with you. Mine seems not enjoying 80F too, even 85F is no good.
I know you follow Turbo thread, and you probably know this already.
Glad that we have same experience that prove aldabra need a bit higher than 80F to enjoying their good night sleep. ;)

Kittivan

Chicago
Sorry for not updating in a while....

Well Kaci has doubled in weight in the 3 months I’ve had her! She has been growing like a weed! It’s crazy how fast this species grows.

A couple of things I’ve observed about Kacie are the distinct growth/eating cycles she goes through, and her fondness for warmer temps (above 80 at all times).

Her personality has gotten more outgoing but still is pretty skittish when she is surprised with any movement. She eats out of my hand although I don’t do this very often. She doesn’t stand tall when i scratch her shell, legs, or neck like many other Aldabra do. I hope this will change in time.

9/2
Notice how much space she has in the cup.
96F1E04F-7E9C-4748-B798-9F65411FB178.jpeg

12/6
Now Struggles to fit in the cup. Probably the last time it will be used. Just THREE months!
9C80A3FE-A84D-41C2-8B6E-DAB0439716C1.jpeg

However, Not very chunky yet...
37C5226E-5864-4F99-BEA9-6776079AE970.jpeg

Last edited:

Kittivan

Chicago
3E8AD545-A7D9-4FCE-AEAF-91D7571557B6.jpeg

*** pic taken 1/4

1/12

Well there has been a new development and Kaci now has a new buddy. Thank you @ALDABRAMAN for everything. I plan to start a new thread with the full story shortly. Vet visit scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully quarantine won’t be needed.

As for Kaci, she’s surpassed the 1,000 gram mark and continues to grow at a steady rate. I’ve noticed her being more outgoing and less scared of me. I’m beginning to wonder if Kaci is really Casey.