Protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

redharedwarf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
My juviniles are only 2.5 months old is it required ot give them protein? if so how often and how much?

I feed them greens everyday, Collard,romaine,bok choy,dandelion's i add fruit every other day. and they always have a moist dry food avaliable for Fiber. I sprinkle a good calcium every three days and they have a cuttlebone to naw at. I'm just not sure about the protein.

thanks
Red

Also should I be using a calcium with D3 in it? they have a UVB light?

Red

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I feed protein once a week to my Redfoots.

I would be giving a calcium supplement with D3 as I don't use UV light on my Redfoots. At the age yours is bright lights will make them hide most of the time. I'd go without the UV light, just provide heat with a ceramic heat emitter. They will be much more active if you do. :D

Danny

redharedwarf

5 Year Member
Alaska
SO would you also suggest no basking bulb the bright light kind and use the ceramic heat emitters instead? what about the under the tank heaters? I have a custom built tank/aquarium 40" long x 30" Wide.

Red

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Redfoots aren't baskers. They want the whole enclosure to warm up during the day. I would have 2 ceramic heat emitters (in domed clamp on fixtures) heating your enclosure. Have them about 20 inches apart in the middle of the enclosure.
Under the tank heaters are best saved for hospital enclosures and not their normal enclosure.

Danny

redharedwarf

5 Year Member
Alaska
well if I take the UVB away what can I use for a light source ? the room that they are kept in stays dark due to were I live in alaska and trees and such. can I use a differant type of bulb for light during the day like normal flourecent? Ott lights? Vita-Lite ?

red

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
redharedwarf said:
My juviniles are only 2.5 months old is it required ot give them protein? if so how often and how much?

I feed them greens everyday, Collard,romaine,bok choy,dandelion's i add fruit every other day. and they always have a moist dry food avaliable for Fiber. I sprinkle a good calcium every three days and they have a cuttlebone to naw at. I'm just not sure about the protein.

thanks
Red

Also should I be using a calcium with D3 in it? they have a UVB light?

Red

I might reduce the fruit a bit, but protein is 'sometimes' thing with Red-foots, some authors recommend it only every month or so, and young'uns probably do it even less than that.

If ya have a UVB light, try to keep other D3 to a minimum

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
redharedwarf said:
well if I take the UVB away what can I use for a light source ? the room that they are kept in stays dark due to were I live in alaska and trees and such. can I use a differant type of bulb for light during the day like normal flourecent? Ott lights? Vita-Lite ?

red

Follow Dannys' advice and just use a normal overhead room light or table light so that you can see to take care of your little guy.
That's what I've done and our Rosy has never been more active and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.