Protein for Homes Hungry

Mollie McFarland

I’m looking for some variety in the protein that I feed my Homes. She loves earthworms but that’s about all I’ve had to give her lately. The local pet shop has mealworms, superworms, dubia roaches, and hornworms. Are these acceptable protein options?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
One thing I have found my RF likes is RollyPolly bugs. If you can find any in your yard maybe give that a try. I take a piece of wood and lay it down on the grass few days. Then after a few days when you lift it usually they're some hiding under it. The uneaten ones will actually help keep your substrate clean from what I hear as they feed on torts poop leftovers etc.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
Does anyone feed their hingebacks live or frozen thawed pinky mice? I've seen a few videos on YouTube where hingebacks just devour them....

Mollie McFarland

One thing I have found my RF likes is RollyPolly bugs. If you can find any in your yard maybe give that a try. I take a piece of wood and lay it down on the grass few days. Then after a few days when you lift it usually they're some hiding under it. The uneaten ones will actually help keep your substrate clean from what I hear as they feed on torts poop leftovers etc.

Good idea! I love those little guys. They keep my Russian’s enclosures nice and tidy.