Protein Food Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
I've been looking around my local Pet Store and i've been wondereing alot about what kinds of Live Food/Protein I should be feeding my Turtle.
I came across this "Turtle Treat". It says it is high in Protein and Krill but, i was wondereing if you guys know any other good Protein Sources out there. It's been raining alot and theres been alot of Worms in my yard but, its starting to get warm and im trying to find another Source of Protein.

pPETS-3756302dt.jpg

Thats the "Turtle Treats" I've found. Hercules is an Asian Box Turtle and it's young and on the caresheets i read they say young Asian Box Turtle dont eat much Greens so im trying to find alternatives.

Thanks.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i think the label speaks for itself... it says "Treat" . so that shouldnt be a staple diet at all.

can you buy nightcrawlers at the feedstore/walmart/petco? what about crickets? i would feed those to my box turtle. my box turtle also LOVED cat food. especially the fishy ones.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Those freeze dried krill are pretty much useless. The process used to preserve them destroys a big amount of the nutritional quality.

Worms and insects are your best bet, and occasionally a little high quality, low fat moistened cat food would be okay. You don't want to over do it though.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use a lot of Purina Trout Chow for my box turtles. At least, it USED to be "Purina" years ago. I think it might be Mazuri now. If the pellets are too big for the turtle to bite, I'll soak them for a bit to soften them. I also make up a "slurry" of different things...some sort of fruit, softened trout chow, chopped fine veggies, softened premium dry cat food or whatever else I can think of. I mix this all together and freeze it in plastic ice cube trays, taking out a small portion occasionally to feed to the box turtles.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I feed mine:

Trout
Salmon
Slugs
Snails
Worms
Pill Bugs
Canned cat food
Hard boiled egg
Cooked chicken

Just a sample. I offer lots of variety and change up often so they don't get stuck on one thing. I prefer things I find in the yard or that naturally make it into their pen. They have lots of leaves and composte to attract worms and other bugs. I'll toss in some extra slugs and snails now and then. And then about once a week give them the raw trout, canned cat food, and other things based on what i happen to have available.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They will also eat fruit and keep offering some greens (they will eat it). My set up is 1/2 water (depth to top of shell) and 1/2 land. They do need heavy filtration and frequent water changes. UV B and basking light over land area. They do become for personable. I want to point out that are not to treated the same as North American box turtles.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Thanks Everyonee. It loves it's fruits and i've mixed in greens so it starts eating those.

Status
Not open for further replies.