Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I advertised a found tortoise last week, and besides the 20 or 30 people who were just looking to get a free tortoise, I received 10 calls from folks who had really lost their tortoise.

This is a good time to remind all of you to double check your habitats. Make sure there are no holes under the fence. Open and close the gates to be sure they close and latch. Its always a good idea to cap off the corners of the habitat (they climb good in the corners). If possible, put an identifying mark on your tortoise. If its big enough, you can super glue a return address label to the center of one of the scutes. I'm sure there are many more things you can think of to protect your tortoise, and spring time is an excellent time to take care of it.

Last, but not least, try to not tell too many people in your neighborhood that you have a tortoise in your back yard...especially neighbors with children. Now-a-days, kids seem to think, "What's yours is mine!"

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Not sure I would do it, but do people put those microchips into torts? I realize this is only good if someone finds it and brings it somewhere they can read it.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Just curious, but where are you from? Somewhere warm? Just curious because you said a lot of people were missing torts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Just curious, but where are you from? Somewhere warm? Just curious because you said a lot of people were missing torts

I'm in the Central Valley of California. Quite a few outdoor tortoises here in my neck of the woods.

Yvonne

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Got'cha. I'm way up in Oregon. So not so much. lol But during the summer it can get plenty warm enough.

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
Ive noticed these torts are very persistant, and have seen my little leopard Tort off the ground in one of the corners.
he was using the stakes i had holding the walls upright for leverage.
i capped the corners and filled the space between the steaks.
im planning on a new outdoor but with the stakes running on the outside of his enclosure.

FrankieSue71

5 Year Member
bettinge said:
Not sure I would do it, but do people put those microchips into torts? I realize this is only good if someone finds it and brings it somewhere they can read it.

My vet said it can be done, I guess they put it in a front leg. But the problem is how many people who found a tortoise or turtle would think to have them scanned for a chip? At least with dogs and cats you can puta tag on their collar saying they're chipped.

In regards to the super-glue thing, would that be toxic?

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FrankieSue71 said:
bettinge said:

My vet said it can be done, I guess they put it in a front leg. But the problem is how many people who found a tortoise or turtle would think to have them scanned for a chip? At least with dogs and cats you can puta tag on their collar saying they're chipped.

In regards to the super-glue thing, would that be toxic?

I just started putting microchips in my Radiated Tortoise, just for 100%identification they have to put them under its a minor surgery but after 2 were stolen I figure its worth the cost.Im still to affraid to put them in thier pens outside

treshell

5 Year Member
What are they doing in Florida to keep tract of the wild ones for their studies? Must be some kind of GSP. Or maybe what they are using on children so Mom's can catch the kids faster? If all else fails a tattoo like many of us use on our show dogs. Would put it where it could be seen as the tort was coming at you. Use a bright color and refresh color as it is needed. The problem with chips is different states use different brands of chips, put different places, and they often move around under the skin. Then Vets or pounds must buy different equipment for each brand of chip to check the chips. That can be real $$$ for folks trying to give good care but hold cost down.
treshell

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
You know those little return address stickers people are forever sending you in the mail? Stick one on your tort's shell, just in case...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think that would take glue or tape, but if it's a big tort I don't see how the small surface area covered would be a problem. The smallest tag the better. I also saw someone with a hanging metal dog tag somehow attached to the back of the shell. It was shaped like a heart and rather cute (it must have been on this forum as this is the only one I'm on).

K

kaistenolee

Hello,
I read the comment.That is really a very nice thought.We all should be aware about the life of the animal.That is only the way of equivalence the life cycle on the earth.Please try to share more such attempts at the community.Thank you for the comment.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
All four of my sulcatas have microchips. All your pets should be micro chipped! When it comes to matters of property ownership (in the eyes of the law pets are only property), it's the only for sure way to establish ownership. As micro chips become more prevalent, more and more disputes come down to whom is the pet registered to, just like a vehicle. In my job, situations come up daily that most people would never imagine happening to them, i.e. stolen pets, neighbors refusing to return pets. Possession is 9/10th of the law, if your "neighbor" won’t return your pet, it's up to "you" to prove you are the rightful owner and before micro chips that was almost impossible to do. The location of a microchip implant in a four legged reptiles is the rear left leg. It's a quick shot that takes a second and they didn't seem to feel anything. In the state of California, all found pets by law must be turned over or reported to local authorities. Animal Control officers are equipped with chip readers in the field and considering most found pets do not have their tags on because they slipped their collar to get away or the owners don't keep the tags on at all times. A micro chip is the best way to get your pet returned to you!

treshell said:
The problem with chips is different states use different brands of chips, put different places, and they often move around under the skin. Then Vets or pounds must buy different equipment for each brand of chip to check the chips. That can be real $$$ for folks trying to give good care but hold cost down.
treshell

There are only about 5 micro chip companies in the U.S. and none are state specific. All animals brought into a city or county shelter (where all found pets should be taken) is scanned. Each scanner can read all brands of microchips. The cost of getting a chip is from $17. To $27.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you have any questions about this thread, please start a new thread. :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.