pros and cons on sphagnum peat moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
I just wanted to see if peat moss had more pros than cons. What are some common complaints ?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The one and only complaint I have ever heard about moss is that you can't find their poop in it a lot of the time so it's hard to clean out. :rolleyes:

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Thanks candy, it makes sense, I think I'm going to try it out until I get ahold of some mosser lee. My local lowes, home depot or wal mart do not have it.
I guess ill be hunting for poop. I think a kitty liter pooper scooper will make it alil easier

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I usually soak Dale about 3 times a week and he usually poops when I soak him so I don't have a problem right now with his moss. Of course you have to consider that I also put him in his outdoor enclosure during the day so that helps also.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I mix peat moss with organic soil and on top I put some forest floor and sometimes add a few dried leaves in the fall...like now. The peat moss alone seems to stick to everything it touches...poop...food...little wet feet..etc.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Candy,

I'm afraid to soak him because I think he has some plastron rotting? The emporium I got him from kept him in a viv so I don't know what the humitity was like, but I know for sure they had him on some aspen I belive for about a year and when my gf bought him, he was on jungle bed. And I'm scared to use the betatine(sp?) I have pics of him I just don't have access to to uploading to photobucket

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
dreadyA said:
Candy,

I'm afraid to soak him because I think he has some plastron rotting? The emporium I got him from kept him in a viv so I don't know what the humitity was like, but I know for sure they had him on some aspen I belive for about a year and when my gf bought him, he was on jungle bed. And I'm scared to use the betatine(sp?) I have pics of him I just don't have access to to uploading to photobucket

If you ask Danny he will tell you exactly how to clear up shell rot (if it is) and you won't have to be afraid he knows what he's talking about. A lot of people on here have used it and they say it works very well. I agree about the soaking if it is shell rot I have heard where you don't want to soak them until that clears up.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Candy said:
dreadyA said:
Candy,

If you ask Danny he will tell you exactly how to clear up shell rot (if it is) and you won't have to be afraid he knows what he's talking about. A lot of people on here have used it and they say it works very well. I agree about the soaking if it is shell rot I have heard where you don't want to soak them until that clears up.

Thank you. Ill do it.:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy said:
dreadyA said:
Candy,

Here is a step by step treatment of fungus. It happened to Pio when I had him on the moss and it was too wet. I used this treatment and it cleared up in about a week.
http://redfoots.com/smf/index.php?topic=544.0

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I used some organic stuff and it was full of tiny spider bugs.. they were in the bag when I got it .. not so nice in the house running all over your tort.. I'm sure you can find some bug free stuff but just watch out for them when you open the bag.
Now I use the bricks of Coco coir.. no bugs :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Pros and cons of long-fibered peat moss, like the Mosser Lee brand, in my experience:

PROS-
- Very acidic, not much cultures or grows in it
- Not a growth medium, unlikely to sprout anything (it always amazes me how many things try to grow in my substrates when i am not using moss)
- Good humidity retention when used properly
- Not known to be harmful it eat accidentally
- Easy for most tortoises to walk on
- Encourages 'snuggling down' in it
- Cheap enough to replace regularly

CONS:
- There is a VERY slight possibility of catching a fungus from it- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporotrichosis (It does not seem likely in our situations)
- Can be overly wet, contributing to a sort of 'immersion foot' problem on plastrons
- Moderately difficult to keep clean (actually easier to replace than to clean too often)
- Can be difficult for young torts to walk in (so keep it to a minimum around hatchlings)
- A little 'hydrophobic', that it, it takes a little work to get it properly damp
- Dries out quickly. Keeping it properly damp without being wet can be a challenge in dry places or in dry seasons
- On a personal note, I am not sure I like how my medium/small tortoises move in the stuff. It does not seem to promote a nice 'tall legged' walking posture like you'll see outside. I have no idea if this is a problem or not.

For my money, the cons can mostly be managed away. I like this stuff, especially for the younger torts in smaller habitats, or for hiding places, etc.

I don't use it all of the time since in the winter here in Omaha, it is tough to keep it properly damp without being wet in our unhumidified house.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Worst part is she sometimes moves it around when she walks and pushes it into her water on accident

Status
Not open for further replies.