Pros and Cons of Digital Timers?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm currently using two timers on my Russian enclosure for his lighting. They are like the typical, standard timer pictured below. I have two different timers that constantly confuse me so I'm considering upgrading to digital ones. I would also like to set them in 15-minute intervals, instead of the standard 30-minute intervals (so hopefully digital ones can do that). I'm wondering if anyone has (1) any experience with digital ones; advantages / disadvantages; and (2) any suggestions for a particular product or a company that you like. Thank you in advance. :cool:

1614723344851.png

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have 4 digital timers I bought on Amazon.
However, here in south Florida the power goes out for a moment a few times a month. And each time it does, the timers revert to 12:00
Make sure you find some with a battery back up.
I no longer use digital timers anymore

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I prefer using a 'smart' power strip. The ones I use have 4 outlets...if I bought more I'd try to get at least 6 outlets.

The strip connects to wifi, so you can control it from your smartphone from anywhere.

Each outlet can be programmed independently from the others, and the intervals are 1 minute. You can set an outlet to go on/off multiple times per 24 hours.

You can also control them with Siri or Alexa, but I haven't done that.

This is the one I use. I think it may be the same one that Markw84 puts in his enclosures.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXV3JH8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I use a mechanical timer, but I had them left over from when I used to put up a few Christmas lights outside. You have to wire them in and make a plug back so they do take a lot more work and don't look as nice, but free is always a good price.
1614765114415.png

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I couldn't live without having my lights, heaters, and misters on timers.
Cheap analog timers from Stanley have always worked for me. ZooMed has some digital timers that work well and reset back to normal after power goes out so I have some of those on the thermostats.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks, all, for your input!
I couldn't live without having my lights, heaters, and misters on timers.
Cheap analog timers from Stanley have always worked for me. ZooMed has some digital timers that work well and reset back to normal after power goes out so I have some of those on the thermostats.
I'll look into those Zoo Med ones. I may just choose to buy new analog ones that actually match, but I'll think about it. :)