proper Radiated Tortoise husbandry/care

Left_Coast_Sully

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello,

Im going to open myself up to some constructive criticism, and hopefully learn a thing or two from the more experienced Radiata owners out there.

Recently I acquired two 10 month old radiata from the same clutch. Very reputable breeder in the San Diego area. Since these are the youngest, and only tortoise I have ever housed indoors, Im looking for some reassurance I am on the right track. Here is the break down:

Enclosure:
Melamine enclosure
Cypress mulch substrate
- Spayed each morning to maintain humidity
- Humidity roughly 80-90% for a couple hours after being sprayed, and back down to 50-60 for the remainder of the day. I sometime spray at random times if available.
UVB Fluorescent strip
- On 12 hours each day (7:30 - 7:30)
75w infrared head bulb
- always on (thermostat set at 86-87)
Ambient temps maintain between 80-85, basking under infrared roughly 87-90 degrees. coolest part of the enclosure stays around 80-82.

Feeding/hydration:
spring mix every other day
muzuri mixed in twice a week
soakings for 15-20min every other day

over the last week, both torts appear to be healthy (though sleeping a lot), out and about a few hours a day. Recently, ive noticed a bit of peeling on their heads, but assume that to be natural and normal. Eating and pooping at each soaking and occasionally in between.

Well there you have it, that is the basis of my routine. I plan to start implanting other food into their diets soon. my biggest concern at this point is ensuring I have the right temps and humidity. Additionally, anything I can be doing to enhance the quality of care Im giving, is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2176.jpg
    IMG_2176.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 136

Ghazan

5 Year Member
- Use a clay or plastic low sided saucer for water buried into the substrate, that deep dish you have looks like they can tip over
- Change the red light to a ceramic bulb which will probably help your humidity too.
- UVB seems far away
- Would feed and bath every day

I'm sure others will chime in more

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Agree w Ghazan on everything and I’m higher on heat and humidity. Stat set for 91 in daytime and 100% on humidity (w misting system) and definitely up th food game. Start adding hibiscus leaves, collards, romaine, weeds, cactus and grated squash and sweet potato. And think about starting a game plan on how to separate th 2 torts. One will start dominating th other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would offer more variety of greens. If you can't find endive and escarole in the produce section, look for "Santa Barbara Mix" in the packaged salad section. Also add a few edible weeds and leaves to the mix. Spring mix used to be my 'go to' staple, but I hardly ever use it anymore. Also, I feed every day, as much as they'll eat.

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
Agree w Ghazan on everything and I’m higher on heat and humidity. Stat set for 91 in daytime and 100% on humidity (w misting system) and definitely up th food game. Start adding hibiscus leaves, collards, romaine, weeds, cactus and grated squash and sweet potato. And think about starting a game plan on how to separate th 2 torts. One will start dominating th other.
Thank you! I’m going to up the termastat a bit. My concern was that there was much of gradient within the enclosure, only 5 degrees or so. I am leaning that these guys are also pretty tolerant of heat, but did not want to over do it. I’m also go to look into a misting system, and at the very least more mindful of misting more offer. That you so much for the input.

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
I would offer more variety of greens. If you can't find endive and escarole in the produce section, look for "Santa Barbara Mix" in the packaged salad section. Also add a few edible weeds and leaves to the mix. Spring mix used to be my 'go to' staple, but I hardly ever use it anymore. Also, I feed every day, as much as they'll eat.
Initially it was my plan to feed everyday, as much as they will eat. However, opinions on that vary among breeders and professionals. There seems to be a pretty even divide on the topic. I do not want to promote an unnatural growth rate, but want to see my animals thrive. I think I’m going to stick to everyday feeding and vary the diet with the recommendations in this thread.

Same goes for soaking. I don’t believe I can over hydrate, but the opinions differ on how many times to soak. Thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak daily until they're big enough to live outside, then they have a waterer big enough to hold their whole body, and I assume they soak on their own. But to make sure, I soak weekly.

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
- Use a clay or plastic low sided saucer for water buried into the substrate, that deep dish you have looks like they can tip over
- Change the red light to a ceramic bulb which will probably help your humidity too.
- UVB seems far away
- Would feed and bath every day

I'm sure others will chime in more
The water dish seems to be working out well. It is the same as what was in their previous enclosure. They are in and out with ease. UVB is just about 12 inches from shell to light. I think the angle of that photo makes it look higher...

So the debate over CHE vs IR has proven to be exhausting. I ultimately went with the recommendation of the breeder to use the IR, as he felt it would benefit the torts more so. I can’t get into the science, so I just differ to experience. I appreciate your input!

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
That's still a desicating form of heat. Plus, the red color it gives to everything causes SOME tortoises eat the substrate.
My experience over the last week is that is it definitely drying out the substrate, as you mention. Would you say its best to shift over to CHE? that seam to be the consensus...

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
HI -
Cypress mulch will not hold the kind of humidity you will want for these young tortoises. Fine grade orchid bark works well and ins't messy. Coco Coir also works well but its a real mess. I use Coco for really young babies (literal hatchlings) and I have been using orchid bark after they are about 3 months old. I use Cypress for adults.

For babies, I keep humidity above 85% all the time,I soak babies EVERY day, plus I spray the carapace a couple times a day. In my experience, this grows super smooth and well hydrated babies.

You should get a SolarMeter 6.5 UVI meter so you can set the height of your UVB bulbs correctly. I don't use basking lamps for radiata until they are about 8" long. If you have the enclosure temperatures and UVB height set correctly, they will occasionally bask under them, but not too often. I think basking lamps dry out the babies carapace so quickly that it counteracts the high humidity environment.

All of this being said, my entire room is heated so I don't need basking lamps or CHE's to actually heat the enclosure. If you do, then CHE's would be my choice.

Reactions: Tom

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
super valuable input Sterant. Im going to take your recommendation and change out the substrate for Orchid bark. Daily soaks will be my new norm, as well as spray carapace as you mention. This may be splitting hairs, but would tap water suffice?

UVB is sitting just about 13in above the torts...Too high? thanks!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
super valuable input Sterant. Im going to take your recommendation and change out the substrate for Orchid bark. Daily soaks will be my new norm, as well as spray carapace as you mention. This may be splitting hairs, but would tap water suffice?

UVB is sitting just about 13in above the torts...Too high? thanks!
Can't say for sure. The meter is the only sure way to know. What model UVB bulb are you using? I might be able to give you a really rough idea.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
ok, ill look into purchasing a meter today as well. Reptisun 10.0 is the model im using.
I run 48" Reptisun 10.0 HO T5 in a light fixture with a really good reflector. With babies, I look for a UVI of 3.5 to 4, and I get that at about 12" off the substrate.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Thank you! I’m going to up the termastat a bit. My concern was that there was much of gradient within the enclosure, only 5 degrees or so. I am leaning that these guys are also pretty tolerant of heat, but did not want to over do it. I’m also go to look into a misting system, and at the very least more mindful of misting more offer. That you so much for the input.

enclosure is too small for a gradient...