Prone to parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Just curious if Pancakes are extra prone to parasites/illness? A person selling a bunch of different torts in a sketchy shop told me that while I was marveling at them. Are they more wild caught?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
WC pancake tortoises were always hard to acclimate. They always came with a high parasite load, especially protozoans.
CB animals are extremely hardy though. :)

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Wild caught anything are not 'prone' to parasites. I really don't know how to put this into words but I'll try...

Wild caught adapt to their environment. They have total control of their environmental concitions. They adapt to living with(what I think is) a huge parasite load.

When you take them into captivity they no longer have control of their environment and the parasites take over the opportunity.

This is the very reason I tell everyone with a wild caught or free range farmed animal to have their animal treated for protoza (the most important) and worms regardless of any kind of diagnostic tests.

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Just curious if Pancakes are extra prone to parasites/illness? A person selling a bunch of different torts in a sketchy shop told me that while I was marveling at them. Are they more wild caught?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Jordan, a guy on Kingsnake has CB males for 150$ a piece. That's 100-300$ cheaper than the average price for CB. He quoted me at 195$ shipped for one, but alas, I have no space. :) Can't help but look though!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Thanks for the info everyone!... Someday when I have the space too...

Status
Not open for further replies.