prolapse

Net net turds

Location (City and/or State)
Folsom
I have 2 Russian Tortorises, they are almost 5 years old. Today after they ate, I went back to them to remove their tray, one of them had a prolapsed rectum. I immediately called the vet to take him in, however when I went back to check on him it had resolved. The vet said it could be many reasons why it did that, from as easy as trying to have a large bowel movement, (pushing too hard), to as complicated as a parasite in its intestines. I am just wondering if any of you has heard of this problem. The vet said it's common?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 2 Russian Tortorises, they are almost 5 years old. Today after they ate, I went back to them to remove their tray, one of them had a prolapsed rectum. I immediately called the vet to take him in, however when I went back to check on him it had resolved. The vet said it could be many reasons why it did that, from as easy as trying to have a large bowel movement, (pushing too hard), to as complicated as a parasite in its intestines. I am just wondering if any of you has heard of this problem. The vet said it's common?
Your male tortoise had an erection.

You should never have 2 Russians living together as a pair. That is a recipe for disaster. You should separate them ASAP before permanent damage is done.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did it look like the picture someone else posted? Is your tortoise alright?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's only a "prolapse" if it doesn't go back in. A penis that comes out then goes back in eventually is nothing to worry about, and quite normal.