Prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea

5 Year Member
My male Hermann's, Mexico, is around 20 months old now and the last 2 times I've bathed him he had what looked like a very small prolapse after he pooped. It almost looked like his tail was curled under his tummy, only dark pink in colour. It seemed to have a 'tip' on it and was a bit pointed. I put him back in the water and panicked a bit, then when I checked again it had gone back in. In reality, this was probably only around 30 seconds, but it seemed like a lot longer!
He poops in his enclosure regularly and it only seems to happen when he does it in the water. I think I remember reading somewhere online that a male tortoise may get a slight prolapse when he poops but that 9 times out of 10 it will go back in very quickly on it's own. Does this seem right?
I hope this post is in the right place!

Thanks in advance, Chelsea and Mexico

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
He is probably flashing his penis, not actually prolapsing from going to the bathroom. Many male tortoises will do that in warm water.

Judging by the description, I would say it is just flashing.

Chelsea

5 Year Member
I was hoping that would be the case! Since it wasn't out in full I couldn't tell if it was that or a prolapse.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.