Progress on a tortoise table!

mlummus

Hey guys just wanted to share some pics of the first weekend of building Frankie's new tortoise table!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436034151.358864.jpg
My boyfriend works at a glass shop and was able to get a bunch of wood from the shipments they get in! This frame is roughly 5x2

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436034250.610097.jpg

We added legs, an extra board for support and put more screws around the edges for reinforcement

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436034306.382427.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436034316.567827.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436034324.916946.jpg

I got so excited with wanting to set everything up that I forgot to line the the bottom with the shower curtain I bought :( but I'll be moving in less than a year so I'll dump everything out and redo it all then. We ran out of wood to finish building up the walls but the plan is to build the walls up about 8 inches. We're also going to add a second story for a basking spot so we sorta started to get that going (that's what you see on the far right of the enclosure). We'll put a "roof" on top and then add the second story and ramp! The plant on the far side is a spider plant and I added some testudo broadleaf seed mix into part of the substrate (which is hapigro topsoil). So ready for it to be finished so Frankie can move in!

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Spider plant might not fare to well if it can't spread its roots (conch shell looks nice but might not make a suitable flowerpot). Also, maybe want to give the plants a chance to grow before putting your tortoise in there or they will never grow :p

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Nice start. You'll want the walls higher than 8". Tortoises climb. A fall from that height could be dire.

I wouldn't wait till you move to line the bottom, even though it's a nuisance to dump the substrate & replace it. It would be a shame if dampness ruined all your work, especially if the wood absorbed odors.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Can't wait to see the higher wall with upper floor.

mlummus

Spider plant might not fare to well if it can't spread its roots (conch shell looks nice but might not make a suitable flowerpot). Also, maybe want to give the plants a chance to grow before putting your tortoise in there or they will never grow :p

I never thought about the roots! I'll be digging up the soil it seems so that I can line the bottom so I'll replant it!

mlummus

More progress but still some more work to be done!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437260768.743551.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437260814.695946.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437260825.664036.jpg

We added walls and sorta built the house! The second story is coming later because, again, we ran out of wood /: Frankie is coming home next week and this will work for a while. Once my boyfriend and I find some more time (probably sometime in August :/) we will finish the second story basking spot! For now I'm super excited! My weed seeds have sprouted and everything is starting to come together! :)