Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Seems like i have one female russian that is sleeping all the time. im not sure if shes ready to hibernate or just slowly dying. she wont eat and barely moves, and takes her forever to open her eyes. Dying or hiberating? this started this last week....im not sure if she was hibernated in the past or not since i recently got her. she seemed healthy a week ago ... help please

S

stells

I would be tempted to get a fecal tested for protozoa having been through this myself with one of my Russians which shew the exact same symtoms, she could just be slowing down but as you don't seem to have much history on her, i think it woul;d be a worthwhile test to have done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is exactly why we always say you shouldn't allow a new-to-you tortoise hibernate the first year with you. In the wild, because of the poor weather where they come from, Russians sometimes hibernate 7, 8 or 9 months of the year. It could just be that your Russian is wild caught and is on her own timetable. But if it were mine, I would not allow her to hibernate. Wake her up each day with a warm soak, whether she wants to or not, and keep her light on 12 or so hours a day. Don't allow her to know that the real weather is cooling off and the days are getting shorter. If this doesn't improve her activity level, a vet visit is in order. Stell's post is a good one. If this is a wild caught tortoise, chances are good she is infested with parasites.

Yvonne

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
If you keep her in a warm environment and she's still not showing much activities, then she's probably sick. I'd suggest to take her to an experienced vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.