Prickly pear (Opuntia sp.) cactus pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
A lot of people seem to like feeding their tortoises prickly pear (Opuntia sp.) cactus pads because they are a good source of calcium. However, it is my understanding that Opuntia are also rich in oxalates. As with other plants, I would think this would diminish the quality of cactus pads as a forage item, making them suitable for occasional feeding, but not very often. What do you guys think?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have never seen any adverse reactions from it and I have been feeding it to Vegas since he was a hatchling and that was almost 6 years ago, so I will continue feed it..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jaizei said:

Hi Jaizei:

(Did we ever learn your name?)

That's a very interesting article. I have trouble reading scientific stuff, so I'll go over it again when I have more time. Did it ever say whether there was too much oxalates?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I love the cactus and we have quite a bit here in Arizona. I give it quite often, but I have quite a few tortoises so they all share. I never worry about giving them too much. They graze on grasses daily and that's their main staple. The cactus is natural and great for calcium.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dont get me wrong now folks :D (I dont get too many chances to say that these days LOL) I do feed cactus to my guys, just as I feed dandelion flowers/greens which are also high in Oxalates....but the positive benefits out weight the negatives...also I don't feed Cactus every time I give them treats....maybe once a week or so.... :)

Dandelion greens get fed almost every day mixed along with other goodies and my guys free graze as well, so there is a mix going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.