Prickly Pear Cactus FREE SHIPPING ON FIRST ORDER!!!

Do you use Prickly Pear in your Tortoise's Diet?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • What is prickly pear?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
For Sale-- Prickly Pear Cactus

Great for Tortoises to eat. Cut it up, slice it, feed it. To simple!

Cactus fruit sold as well.

Can come pre-cut to save you the labor.

$2.00 per cactus pad
$5.00 for 1lb sliced and diced
$1.00 each for cactus fruit

PM or Email me if you have any questions or you are interested in some.

I would perfer pick up somewhere in Los Angeles, but shipping is okay (first order shipping is free, any amount, then each order afterwards is at cost of postage and box, not a penny more!)

I do also frequently go to San Diego, Central Cali, and Las Vegas often enough I can meet you in those cities as well.

I will be at the Pomona Show in January-- ReptileSuperShow.com as well.

Thanks

http://www.danheller.com/images/UnitedStates/Arizona/Tucson/Cactus/prickly-pear-big.jpg

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/uhfall/PricklyPear-m.jpg

http://www.datazap.net/sites/winmurray226/PricklyPear.jpg[hr]

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
RE: Prickly Pear Cactus

Thanks for the offer! I got lucky and my husband picked up about 15 red fruits and 10 green ones when he was at an H.E.B. in MacAllen Texas, plus I got a bunch of pads from Crazy 1 (and a few more fruits). I'm set for now, but if you're still around and harvesting in about 2 years, I'll be sending you an order and my gratitude. :)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RE: Prickly Pear Cactus

You're most welcome. Glad you were able to get them. Crazy1 always comes through to help people out. She is so wonderful, its sometimes unbelievable!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Stephanie-Are you storing it to last two years? How? I get a pad at the time at the grocery store and it'll last a month in the fridge kept dry if I'm very lucky. I have thought of planting it but that sounds like too much work and I don't do well with plants.

VICtort

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Stephanie-Are you storing it to last two years? How? I get a pad at the time at the grocery store and it'll last a month in the fridge kept dry if I'm very lucky. I have thought of planting it but that sounds like too much work and I don't do well with plants.

Growing it is pretty much the standard of easy if you live in a warm area...provide it a well drained area, it uses water and thrives if watered frequently but does not like to be in muddy and damp situations. It is so easy to grow in Meditterranean climates and reasonable easy in the desert. Just keep your eyes open for a plant that you can get some cuttings from, cut some and let the cut wound "callous" a few weeks, then plant the pad 1/2 down into the ground and stand back! Handle with leather gloves to avoid the glochids/spines. Try to find a variety/cultivar with minimum spines, some better than others. Look in communities with a Mexican population, many from Sonora and Baja make it an important part of there diet. I have asked many people for samples, and nobody has ever said No. I grow some, but I buy a lot from a Mexican market that has a largely Mexican clientele. I am upset if it exceeds .50/lb., it is very reasonable here in So.Cal. I think it is a good part of a varied diet. It is high fiber, high Calcium, but alarmingly low in protein, only about 1% I am told. I use it along with other higher protein foods to achieve a balance...Buena suerte, Vic

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
You can also dehydrate it if you want to keep it. Vic, I'm with you I live in So Cal and have many in pots in the back yard that is how I keep it from spreading. I have a friend who is getting me some "Purple Santa Rosa" which has the most beautiful purple round pads but when I have seen it, it has been quite pricey. I not only use it for my torts but I love it in my burritos and candied.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very easy to grow! well drained soil and do like explained above.
I had one pad, cut in half and let it dry, stuck it in the ground and walked away. I do water it in the summer a bit.
The deer here keep tasting it.. and they knocked it down once, but its hardy and comes right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.