Price of chaco tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
How much do they usually cost? What are the price differences with CB and WC animals? Not saying I want one, it's impossible to find one in Canada.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its darned near impossible to find them anyplace except in South America.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe we have one or two chaco keepers, both in the US if I am not mistaken.

Tortoise-Luke

5 Year Member
chaco tortoises are found in argentina, bolivia and paraguay. it's considered a species at risk but no endagered yet, i'm not sure about paraguay and bolivia but it in argentina selling or buying any kind of tortoises/turtles is "forbidden" thats why they're not up for exportation, i think about 32000 were sent to the us in the '80s but due to little info on the species and the differences in climate more than half died within the first three months. To give you an answer not just why they're so hard to find outside of southamerica you can get them here in the black market (the back room of any pet store) for approximately 20-25 dollars in buenos aires, and the prices could go down to about 5-10 dollars up north.
offtopic
There was a story on the news last night of a guy smuggling 300 of them (most barely a month old) into buenos aires from up north on a long distance bus. His actual cargo were 670 reptiles and 1 armadillo. Luckily he was caught and already most of the animals have been released to their natural habitat.
http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/TORT...-EJEMPLARES-MAYORIA_CLAIMA20110409_0102_4.jpg
http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/CULE...TO-VIBORAS-REPTILES_CLAIMA20110409_0103_4.jpg
sorry for hijacking your post i just thought this might answer as to why they are so hard to come across.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
iv seen babies go from a couple thousand, to adults up to 30,000

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Jason, are you sure you're not thinking about Galapagos tortoises?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So danny and the reformed chaco mom, but she does not breed, her name escapes me at the moment

stephanie logan is reformed chaco mom

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I saw one or two babies on kingsnake a few months back for $400-450 for cb babies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There are quite a few keepers in the US. I know of one other in the Washington DC area who has bred a good number of them in the last few years. I have 5. I've gotten eggs but no babies.

They can go for 500 to whatever dollars. It's all up to what you want to pay for them.

I understand that Paraguay has a limited quota for export so they are available on occasion.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've sold them for over a thousand and I've paid over a thousand each for adults. If they are imports... expect to pay way more when you add the vet bills. I have one from the last 3 I got. I paid about $2500 for the 3 of them. 2 quickly died and I saved the 3rd one at a cost of $1500+ in vet bills. I know many others who did great with the ones I sold to them. I made the mistake of selling off the younger ones thinking I could quickly breed the older ones. The younger ones survived and went on to breed while most of the older ones are either dead or just hanging out.

I've got some articles if you are interested and I haven't sent them to you already.

Status
Not open for further replies.