Pretty Flower from Seed Mix

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
When I was watering my tortoise’s seed mix from Tortoise Supply, I found a little pink flower coming from what I think is wild radish! Just wanted to share lol. This thread may include pictures of my outdoor tortoise enclosure and the safe plants/flowers I grow along with the seed mix I currently have! (I am still deciding whether or not I should start a new thread.)
19967FEF-B6BA-4F16-801E-8DE2201C3FD7.jpeg
By the way, I took the pot out from the sunlight to get a better picture. It’s usually in full sun.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A radish flower for sure; I love to see our wild radish flowers in the spring. This year I took some of the wild seeds to dry and then plant in the yard. I got exactly one radish with one flower, which was eaten to the ground as soon as it was noticed. Oh well.

Happytort27

CA
Niceee, how’d you get it to grow like that?
I honestly don’t know ?. I don’t necessarily have a green thumb when it comes to planting, but for some reason they sprouted and grew quickly. I just watched for limp leaves and trimmed them off when the turned yellow.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I honestly don’t know ?. I don’t necessarily have a green thumb when it comes to planting, but for some reason they sprouted and grew quickly. I just watched for limp leaves and trimmed them off when the turned yellow.
Nice job ahha, what kind of soil did you use?

Happytort27

CA
Nice job ahha, what kind of soil did you use?
I used a mixture of soils. I have been experimenting with different brands of soils and found one of the best mixtures of soils (in my opinion). It gives nutrients and natural fertilizers, as well as providing essential aeration to the plants’ roots. I used Bumper Crop Potting Soil (about 60%), Mulch Depot’s Organic Compost Soil Blend (about 20%), and HydroCrunch Coco coir (about 20%). You don’t have to mix the soils. You can just plant your seeds in either the Bumper Crop Soil or the Organic Compost blend and it’ll still result in healthy plants. I would not recommend planting in plain coco coir unless you are planning on letting it grow in your enclosure for short term. These are just some of my go-to personal preferences :)

Here are the links if you’re interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FB8ZPG7/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

https://cincymulchdepot.com/products/organic-compost-soil-blend
(Note that this may have some bark chunks in it, but it is still good to use.)

This one here may to hard to find unless they sell it at your local nursery, but otherwise it is one of the best! I 100% recommend it. If you can’t find it, I just recommend the compost blend and/or coco coir.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I used a mixture of soils. I have been experimenting with different brands of soils and found one of the best mixtures of soils (in my opinion). It gives nutrients and natural fertilizers, as well as providing essential aeration to the plants’ roots. I used Bumper Crop Potting Soil (about 60%), Mulch Depot’s Organic Compost Soil Blend (about 20%), and HydroCrunch Coco coir (about 20%). You don’t have to mix the soils. You can just plant your seeds in either the Bumper Crop Soil or the Organic Compost blend and it’ll still result in healthy plants. I would not recommend planting in plain coco coir unless you are planning on letting it grow in your enclosure for short term. These are just some of my go-to personal preferences :)

Here are the links if you’re interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FB8ZPG7/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

https://cincymulchdepot.com/products/organic-compost-soil-blend
(Note that this may have some bark chunks in it, but it is still good to use.)

This one here may to hard to find unless they sell it at your local nursery, but otherwise it is one of the best! I 100% recommend it. If you can’t find it, I just recommend the compost blend and/or coco coir.
thank you!