pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Car trouble is so annoying. I really, really hope you can get to your training. That would suck majorly if your car wouldn't start again...until after you were already late for your training. :p

It has been so rainy and cold here in San Diego!
Rain Diego does not have a good ring to it. I want my sunny San back. :/

I stained some wood for my enclosure lid Friday and really wanted to finish building it. The weather was horrible but my whole family went out and started constructing it while the rain let up. I'm so excited. I need to add the hinges and mesh and we should be done.
Post pics when you're done? Wanna see it. :D And we will have our outdoor enclosure done fairly soon after the rain has let up for a while. Or at least that is our hope! We've decided to let our new Russian friend Sanya reign outside and keep our little babies inside, since they don't need the space out there nearly as much as our older gentleman does. He's been clawing at the sides of his rubberneck container an awful lot since we don't wanna let him out in such crummy weather. :(

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
DanaLachney said:
Momof4 said:
Awesome!! I was noticing the other day that 6000 was approaching!!

It has been so rainy and cold here in San Diego! I stained some wood for my enclosure lid Friday and really wanted to finish building it. The weather was horrible but my whole family went out and started constructing it while the rain let up. I'm so excited. I need to add the hinges and mesh and we should be done.
Shhh , don't tell my husband but I'm very close to adding another RF from Jackrat. I'm trying to get Dusty's brother who is a chocolate!!!

A chocolate???!!!

Yes, a chocolate colored RF! He has 2 left! Hint Hint!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jacqui said:
Today was one of those days that was a mixture of being crummy and a comedy of errors. My son, took my new truck back to college with him, so he could use it to come tomorrow night and do my animals for me since I will be gone for two days of job training. That leaves me my old '88 truck to drive to the training.

I decided since it was due to get an oil change to do that today, so I went into the neighboring town for that. I stopped at a place along the way and then the truck would not start. I tried and tried, finally I called for a jump. Then while waiting I decided to try one last time... it started. Went to get the oil changed and had them check the battery... it was fine. Started like four times there at WalMart. I leave and stop to get gas and of course it would not start. Tried a couple of times and made a call, then it started just fine. :rolleyes:

So I took it to another town and to my mechanic who fit me in thankfully. They decided it was a starter. As I drove home, I thought it had a new sound, but as I pulled into my village it got louder and harsher. Went to the top of the hill to call my husband, so he could hear it. He thought starter noise. We talked a bit and as I started it again... it would not start. Called them to come get it. Took over an hour. Was towed to town. The starter was apparently defective, so they replaced it. Hopefully the newest one will get me to my job training tomorrow.

That is a ridiculous experience. Good thing you didn't just give up and run screaming down the road.

Kathy, Joe, you had better be all over the pic situation. Winter is a dry spell for new enclosure pics.

Of course, we have rain, even more than usual for the PNW for this time of year. My two bigger females are out in the greenhouse with a rubbermaid dog house/light bulb for nights inside. In this area, the GH is a life saver in Spring and Fall, as they seem so much happier in a bigger space. And we are sprouting some veggies/greens too.

DanaLachney said:
Momof4 said:
Yes, a chocolate colored RF! He has 2 left! Hint Hint!

Hmmmmm.......:D

Uh huh, yes.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
75 degrees today :)

Drinking a coffee and heading over to lowes with my hubby for materials to start working on Tina's outdoor enclosure.

Looks like its going to be a GREAT day!

Enjoy everyone!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was thinking of using my moderator powers to be the 6000 post, but I figured it might get into a deletion war with the other mods.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jkingler said:
Car trouble is so annoying. I really, really hope you can get to your training. That would suck majorly if your car wouldn't start again...until after you were already late for your training. :p

Well my truck did start this morning, BUT I had a tire blow on the way. I wrecked the spare tire a few months back and since this is my yardwork truck, I didn't think I should spend the money on a spare. Of course, the jack was at home any how. I ended up being about 10 mins late, but I had called and warned them about 90 minutes before we were to begin, so they had no problems with it. Sad thing is, the tire that blew was looked at by both me and a mechanic yesterday and it looked good. Also it's the new one I just bought two days before Christmas. :(

dmmj said:
I was thinking of using my moderator powers to be the 6000 post, but I figured it might get into a deletion war with the other mods.

Us Mods start paying games with other Mods posts, never. :p :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui...the powers that be seem not to be smiling on you lately. I think I'll wait a bit before I mail you that special something that you've been wanting. After you've had good fortune for a week or so, I'll see about it.

Were you able to take your lap top with you, so you can keep in touch with us? How did orientation go?

David: Its not nice to mess with Mother Nature!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
its getting into the 70s and 80s in NYC in March. most Marches I remember it was snowing and cold. sometimes even snowing into April...what is July going to be like? :( I'm going to sweat so much and then shrivel up like a baby sulcata in a tank with pellets. Or melt.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Jacqui...the powers that be seem not to be smiling on you lately. I think I'll wait a bit before I mail you that special something that you've been wanting. After you've had good fortune for a week or so, I'll see about it.

Were you able to take your lap top with you, so you can keep in touch with us? How did orientation go?

Yep I have my laptop. First day was okay, tomorrow will be longer and more actual hands on training. Have been learning some interesting things about this nursery. They actually use real soil here as a major component of their potting soil. Also long strand Sphagnum moss from Canada I believe it was. We went through the greenhouses today and was neat to see all the stages of development and how they do things. This place also has open aired greenhouses so the plants are more use to the actual temperatures and get wind exposure, so they end up a tougher plant.

I told the folks here is like some curse is upon me for taking this job. :( I wanted it, so I could use the money from the job to finance my tortoise plants this spring. Well I think my truck costs have eaten them all up already.

Josh is at my house critter sitting, so when I leave here tomorrow night it's picking him up and taking him back to college, so I can have my "new" truck back again. So tomorrow will be a really long day. The motel room is nice, but I miss all them bratty critters crawling all over and helping me type. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Getting a little respite from daily chores always SEEMS like an attractive idea until it actually happens. Then you get so homesick...is he doing the chores right? Did he remember this animal or that animal...what about old so and so, did he remember to do that. Its almost not worth it for the stress you go through worrying about what's happening at home.

Well take good notes because we all want to pick your brain about plants and dirt when you get all learned up!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I saw some really neat plants today, that I would love to get. Most were succulents and that group is one I have major troubles with. :( I thought of you, Yvonne, (and the tortoises) when they were talking about how with this warm weather and the way they grow their plants, the plants are maturing faster then wanted. They just had to toss a truckload of pansies into the dumpster. :( I saw some in the greenhouse today, that may end up being tossed for being too mature too. They were just so beautiful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They probably would have let you have them if you'd asked. We have a nursery here that will let you "dumpster dive."

Last week I planted a whole bunch of violas and pansies around my front door, then Sunday we had the thunderstorm with lightning and the rain was BIG drops and coming down REAL hard. All my little plants were flattened. I'm hoping with a bit of sunshine they'll straighten up.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
My neighbor across the street has turned her whole yard into some organic nature conservation garden. I was thinking I could get some stuff from her. :) SHe is always throwing out things she is clearing out. I just wish she'd come over and plant it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Kerryann said:
My neighbor across the street has turned her whole yard into some organic nature conservation garden. I was thinking I could get some stuff from her. :) SHe is always throwing out things she is clearing out. I just wish she'd come over and plant it.

You should definitely friend her, lots of good tort stuff, I bet.

I have pansies coming up like weeds through gravel, walkways, even in my paver patio! But I think of them as tort food now.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kerryann said:

You know, some folks would even come over and plant it for you. Nothing lost, if you atleast ask.

lynnedit said:
I have pansies coming up like weeds through gravel, walkways, even in my paver patio! But I think of them as tort food now.

I never get pansies to come back on their own, only rarely a viola will.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Jacqui said:
Kerryann said:

You know, some folks would even come over and plant it for you. Nothing lost, if you atleast ask.

lynnedit said:

I never get pansies to come back on their own, only rarely a viola will.

She probably would. She would I am sure love to extend out her garden. She has the entire front and backyards planted with gardens. she always asks for our grass clippings so she can compost them secretly in her yard. I also love this woman because she is super nosy and will ask people she doesn't know what they are doing in our neighborhood and chase them off :)
I swear she spends like six hours a day maintaining her gardens. I use a combo of weed block, wood chips, and a lawn boy to keep my yard looking nice.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
So I have a funny story I have to share. This afternoon I had one of my training classes outside. I have about thirty five people so we had a pretty big area of the park taken up. So I start my session and this guy walks by dressed exactly like prince. I mean this guy had the pleather pants and was straight out of purple rain! I laugh inside and go on with my training. The class was really quiet. No one was asking questions or giving feedback. I usually at least get a few "this is stupid"s.
After the class I ask our HR person who was in the class about why she thought everyone was so quiet. I thought maybe they couldn't hear or they were enjoying being outside. Apparently prince went behind me and started dancing for his captive audience. Ha ha. You see crazy stuff in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.