Pretend Chat 2.14

M

Maggie Cummings

Last day to work in the yard. Gonna start our rainy season tonight. Some people from a church are coming to cut back my black berries, so I'm busy hiding all the drugs and devil worship stuff. o_O And now because I have no excuses, I am off to the coldass yard to make sure it's safe for these guys. Move my cinder block collection, some bricks, dig on Bob's hole some more. But darn it got hard. Maybe shoulda dug it out while muddy, cuz this sucks...hahaha

Prairie Mom

With friendships like ours, Abdulla, we will help change the worlds understanding. I'm serious, who'd have thought a Muslim and a cowboy could be such close friends? Maybe a sundance movie, but certainly not mainstream.
I agree Ken. It's an amazing thing really, how this all happened. I'd love to share a lot of information with you about things like these, but I have to go to sleep. There is an English documentary I saw a while ago, but that was a few months ago, so things have changed.

You guys are awesome!:) It is a pleasure to read your posts. I hope you don't mind that I want to add my grandparents as an example in your discussion... My Grandfather was a Muslim Nomad Kyrgyz who grew up living in Yurts. After WWII, met and married my German Grandmother (why I am blonde and freckled!) and had two children. My father grew up speaking Kyrgyz and German and was very aware of traditions in both cultures. It happens more than you realize. There are lots of good open-minded people in this world. We just have to ignore the louder attention-seeking bigots.

Prairie Mom

Way way OT but I just wanted to say, I'm the luckiest woman in the world.
This man is awesome. I wish he'd join the forum lol.
View attachment 99742
Yeah, my husband wouldn't either just because he's so busy and has to spend so much time typing on the internet for work, that it really has no appeal. My husband is very interested in the forum though, and has come to learn about several people and fun tort facts through me. We're equal in our animal love and interests. I tend to make time for it when I'm sitting at the table and helping kids with school work etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, what's on everyone's agenda for today? I've already washed two loads of clothes while I played on the Forum. Now it's time for me to go outside and put all the tortoises out, feed them, pick up the poop and clean out the waterers, then I'll set the sprinklers. I really wish I could afford to have sprinklers installed. It's a pain in the butt trying to remember to go out and move the hoses to a new location. Then I think I'll rake up a few leaves and toss them into the box turtle yard for hibernating. Later when I'm finished puttering around outside I'll come in and see if I can find a taker for my latest sulcata rescue.

Are the rest of you taking a day off? What are your plans?

Last edited:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
We are spending some time with the family that are still in town for the wedding. The girls and the hubby put the torts out for me, so I got to lounge around in the huge hotel room we are staying in :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I swear, dogs have such good hearing. Well, I actually have nothing to compare it to because I can't hear good at all. But Misty lays here at my feet while I'm on the computer. I type, click, scroll...make all kinds of different noises as I'm reading through the Forum. Then when I start signing off, I guess there's a different 'system' to the clicking (far as she's concerned), because as soon as I've clicked the red 'x' at the top of the screen to get out of Chrome, Misty pops up and gets ready to leave the room with me. I wonder how she does that. Maybe she reads my mind?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If he doesn't run, Ava doesn't know how to act. She just stares at him, and he happily munches on fallen apples. Ava, I'm sure, out weighs him by a fair amount. That's a black tail deer. They tend on the small side.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Question for y'all.
So you have a kid who is very smart and talented. Well rounded kid. She loves animals very much and considers a career as a veterinarian but isn't thrilled at the thought of 8-10 yrs of schooling after high school. What suggestions or advice would you offer her? Just encourage her to still pursue her dream despite the feelings about the length of schooling or suggest other possibilities? She LOVES the sciences. Would you encourage her to explore a specific type of science and maybe pursue a carrier alone those lines?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Question for y'all.
So you have a kid who is very smart and talented. Well rounded kid. She loves animals very much and considers a career as a veterinarian but isn't thrilled at the thought of 8-10 yrs of schooling after high school. What suggestions or advice would you offer her? Just encourage her to still pursue her dream despite the feelings about the length of schooling or suggest other possibilities? She LOVES the sciences. Would you encourage her to explore a specific type of science and maybe pursue a carrier alone those lines?
Maybe she would like to be a zoologist that studies animals in their natural habitat? I'd say if she truly wants the job, then why not study for it? Studying is hard, & so is being a veterinarian & caring for tens of animals a day. So maybe you can try to convince her that she truly needs to study to achieve this? How the animals truly need caring and knowledgable hands? This is advice I'd give her:
"Development is the responsibility of every citizen."- The Late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Whatever she does in life, make sure it makes her happy :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've been working on Dozer's new outside enclosure . Wouldn't you know it as soon as I get all the panels cut to size and ready to start screwing them up it starts to rain .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne more yardwork here. I took two truck loads of weeds/brush/trees and also picked up some from two neighbors along the way. Then I took a load of wood from the old porch we are tearing down. Did the normal chores and dog walks.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've been working on Dozer's new outside enclosure . Wouldn't you know it as soon as I get all the panels cut to size and ready to start screwing them up it starts to rain .

Can't screw in the rain? (Isn't this more along the lines of something Ken would ask?)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We are spending some time with the family that are still in town for the wedding. The girls and the hubby put the torts out for me, so I got to lounge around in the huge hotel room we are staying in :)

Sounds like a great day and a wonderful way to start this new chapter in your life.