Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would like some opinions please. I'm trying to limit my snacking, but after my meal I really crave dessert. I realize it's mental, but I crave something sweet after a meal. So I've been buying banana chips. I guess they're dried. They satisfy my craving, however, this last batch I bought has a slightly rancid flavor. Does dried fruit go rancid?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Back when I could eat them, I'd get a few weird tasting ones in a batch but never a whole batch of weird ones. I suppose anything can go bad?
Hmm.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I would like some opinions please. I'm trying to limit my snacking, but after my meal I really crave dessert. I realize it's mental, but I crave something sweet after a meal. So I've been buying banana chips. I guess they're dried. They satisfy my craving, however, this last batch I bought has a slightly rancid flavor. Does dried fruit go rancid?
I usually go for a granola bar, or maybe a rice cake with a teaspoon of peanut butter, or a banana smoothie if I'm craving something sweet. I haven't had dried fruits for a while, sorry.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
So I've been buying banana chips. I guess they're dried. They satisfy my craving, however, this last batch I bought has a slightly rancid flavor. Does dried fruit go rancid?

I love the banana chips from trader joes. They're actually just fried in oil rather than dried fruit but they're so good.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My weakness is ice cream. What I used to do when I'd have that craving is eat a fudgsicle or other single serving treat because they're like 90 calories and give that cold/sweet craving its fix. I should probably do that again. Hardest part is stopping at one!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
He sure is a cutie pie! I hope you and your family is doing ok, I see on the news you are getting hit hard from the storm.
It is POURING and has been most of the night. It doesn't look to be ending anytime soon but for now everything with us is ok. We haven't tried to leave the house yet but will have to later today and there is a lot of flooding so I'm not sure the route we will have to take.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the banana chips from trader joes. They're actually just fried in oil rather than dried fruit but they're so good.

Ah - fried in oil. Then that explains it. Oil CAN turn rancid. Me thinks I need to see if there's an expiration date on my package of chips.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My weakness is ice cream. What I used to do when I'd have that craving is eat a fudgsicle or other single serving treat because they're like 90 calories and give that cold/sweet craving its fix. I should probably do that again. Hardest part is stopping at one!

See? That's my problem too. If one was good, then the whole package of 6 would be 'gooder.'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm limited on what kind of snacks or desserts I can have. Because of my age, diverticulitis is an ongoing problem. So I've taken to not eating ANYTHING that doesn't break down through the digestive process - no nuts, corn, seeds, tomatoes, pickles, cucumbers, etc. I even discovered that the skin on dates doesn't break down. I worried about the little black specks in the middle of the banana, but so far so good with that.

Hey all, and a very good day to you all! I see that Little Nicky Poo sneaked in. Hi Nick ( @russian/sulcata/tortoise ) How's it going back there in cold Pennsylvania? Do you have it all set up to winterize your little sulcata? Don't be such a stranger.

Well, the calendar contest is finally over. Congrats to all the winners. As soon as Josh identifies all the usernames for me I'll be posting a thread showing the winning pictures and who they belong to. Hopefully at that time I will also be able to tell you how you all can order one of these beautiful calendars. It was a pretty tough choice to make this year. All of the pictures were beauties.

So, Saturday, huh? What do you all have planned for this week-end? I'm going to clean out the filter on my snapper pond and vacuum the floor of the pond. Not exactly a fun project for a cool day, but something that needs to get done.

I haven't been following the latest with "Patricia." She's supposedly the worst hurricane in the western hemisphere ever. I'm wondering if Katrina wasn't in the western hemisphere. Or is a "hemisphere" a portion of the world. I thought the U.S. is in the western hemisphere. Do I need to go back to school? Sometimes I think it's all hype. Anyway, all of you who are having to live through this bad weather, no matter where you are, I hope it all works out for you. I love the rain, but there is a limit to just how much you can love!

So, it's off to work I go. Talk to you all later.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Ah - fried in oil. Then that explains it. Oil CAN turn rancid. Me thinks I need to see if there's an expiration date on my package of chips.

I kept mine in the freezer and fridge. Gave it an extra something biting into the coolness yet they wouldn't be frozen rock solid because of the fat in them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't go to work for my company ! We have 5-6 ice cream freezers around the plant with FREE ice cream in them for us to eat while we work ! We can't take the ice cream home but we get to eat it FREE ! :)