Pretend Chat 2.14

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm going to need a few more of these if I want to get rid of the lawn mower. Currently 65 in Eugene, OR.
1490140586473.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I have the blahs today. It's slightly windy but not cold, but I just don't feel like working outside today.

Kathy: Have you finished your rock/river project? I want to make the flower bed up against the front of the house a bit wider but there are so many things that NEED to get done before doing things that I just WANT to do.

I think I'm taking the day off.

@MPRC - That's an awfully pretty cat. I'm very lucky in that so far ALL of the strays that have adopted me are shorthairs. Quite a few years ago I had an orange (I called his color pink) long hair. He always had mats under his arm pits. And his hair was like cotton candy. . . impossible to comb. I was forever and always cutting mats out with the scissors. He was pretty old when I finally had to have him euthanized. He was 18 when I took this picturebear 18 yr old.jpg :

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
No, not even close! My husband dug out some more Monday night but his back hurts.
It's raining for the next two days.
I did take a photo of a yard that may look close to ours. I took this pic on my walk.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490205650.527527.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Yvonne G - Honestly I've never been a furry pet person, I've always had a lizard or toad or other scaly monster as my companion. "Happy" came as a package deal with my boyfriend. She's a nice cat who will rip you to shreds if she doesn't like you. She prefers to be outside and we co-habitate well. She's pretty good at staying groomed and not getting mats, BUT one day she decided to attack a strip of fly paper. we had the joy of peeling it off of her and brushing all the sticky out for days. She didn't growl or bite once during the whole process.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dang it anyway! I talked to a gal on the phone yesterday. Her folks, who live in the foothills, found a large tortoise in their garage. It's about 15". Her folks are in their 70's and don't want the tortoise. They put up an ad on the community bulletin board but had no calls after about 10 days. So she brought the "tortoise" to me. Believe me, folks, I question folks real good about found "tortoises." This one really did sound like a tortoise. Well, I now have THREE male RES to find a pond for. . . and all three of them were "tortoises". I think after this, I'll be asking if they have internet access and request a picture of the animal.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Dang it anyway! I talked to a gal on the phone yesterday. Her folks, who live in the foothills, found a large tortoise in their garage. It's about 15". Her folks are in their 70's and don't want the tortoise. They put up an ad on the community bulletin board but had no calls after about 10 days. So she brought the "tortoise" to me. Believe me, folks, I question folks real good about found "tortoises." This one really did sound like a tortoise. Well, I now have THREE male RES to find a pond for. . . and all three of them were "tortoises". I think after this, I'll be asking if they have internet access and request a picture of the animal.

Oh no!! That kinda sucks Yvonne!
With our cell phones people can easily snap a pic and email it to you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
:eek::eek::(:(:(:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm waiting for Fedex. After I'm finished here on the computer I'll be going out to the old house and picking out a tub or aquarium for a new little baby coming to me from SoCal. I'd like to have it up and running by the time the Fedex guy gets here. I usually like to wait until I see the animal to make sure I have the correct size, but I think he's just a little baby, so hopefully I'll choose the correct size. I'll post pictures later in the day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last week someone brought me a desert tortoise with a big fiberglass patch on the shell. They had found it last Autumn and kept it. I knew it was way past time for the people who lost the tortoise to still be checking lost and found ads and was at a loss as to how I was going to find his original owner. Then I had a light bulb moment. I know the newspaper is sort of obsolete, but I took a chance and posted a letter to the editor:

A tortoise was found last autumn and kept over the winter by the folks who found him. They figured, because he was found in a rural area where there were no homes (between Reedley and Dinuba), it would be impossible for them to find his owner.

Well, I want to at least try. I’m hoping by writing this letter that enough people will see it and I might reach either the person who lost this tortoise, or the veterinarian who worked on the tortoise (he has a pretty big patch on his shell).

I operate the Clovis Turtle and Tortoise Rescue, and when I put up “found” ads, I get all kinds of calls from people wanting a free tortoise.

Please be honest. Don’t call unless you know the owner. You’re going to have to identify the tortoise species and where the patch is. If I can’t place him back with the people who cared enough about him to go through the expense of vet care, then I will adopt him out. It won’t be going to just anyone who calls me.

If you have info about this tortoise or his owner, please call Yvonne at 298-7114.

YVONNE GOMEZ, CLOVIS

Well, as luck would have it, the previous owner's father-in-law was reading the paper this a.m. and contacted them about the letter. I got a phone call just now, and it really is the correct person! I'm thrilled to be able to get this tortoise back to his owner.

He told me that he was having some work done on his yard and he reminded the workers several times to be sure to keep the gate closed, but we all know what happened. They've been searching for months trying to find the tortoise.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'm waiting for Fedex. After I'm finished here on the computer I'll be going out to the old house and picking out a tub or aquarium for a new little baby coming to me from SoCal. I'd like to have it up and running by the time the Fedex guy gets here. I usually like to wait until I see the animal to make sure I have the correct size, but I think he's just a little baby, so hopefully I'll choose the correct size. I'll post pictures later in the day.

What kind of baby?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Last week someone brought me a desert tortoise with a big fiberglass patch on the shell. They had found it last Autumn and kept it. I knew it was way past time for the people who lost the tortoise to still be checking lost and found ads and was at a loss as to how I was going to find his original owner. Then I had a light bulb moment. I know the newspaper is sort of obsolete, but I took a chance and posted a letter to the editor:

A tortoise was found last autumn and kept over the winter by the folks who found him. They figured, because he was found in a rural area where there were no homes (between Reedley and Dinuba), it would be impossible for them to find his owner.

Well, I want to at least try. I’m hoping by writing this letter that enough people will see it and I might reach either the person who lost this tortoise, or the veterinarian who worked on the tortoise (he has a pretty big patch on his shell).

I operate the Clovis Turtle and Tortoise Rescue, and when I put up “found” ads, I get all kinds of calls from people wanting a free tortoise.

Please be honest. Don’t call unless you know the owner. You’re going to have to identify the tortoise species and where the patch is. If I can’t place him back with the people who cared enough about him to go through the expense of vet care, then I will adopt him out. It won’t be going to just anyone who calls me.

If you have info about this tortoise or his owner, please call Yvonne at 298-7114.

YVONNE GOMEZ, CLOVIS

Well, as luck would have it, the previous owner's father-in-law was reading the paper this a.m. and contacted them about the letter. I got a phone call just now, and it really is the correct person! I'm thrilled to be able to get this tortoise back to his owner.

He told me that he was having some work done on his yard and he reminded the workers several times to be sure to keep the gate closed, but we all know what happened. They've been searching for months trying to find the tortoise.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

I love how the story ends!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I told you all how for my anniversary, Jeff brought me home four female redfoots. What I never showed you, is what they gave me on my anniversary day...
20170317_084756.jpg
There was a second one, but it kinda got scrambled.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of baby?

His name is Kona, and he's a little sulcata. I have his new house all set up, and the 'tracking' feature tells me he's on the truck and out for delivery. My camera's batteries are charging, but I'll put up the pictures in an hour or so.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'd like to see pictures of the 'factory' too, Jacqui! Four RFs. How exciting. What a good guy Jeff is.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
So exciting!
The girls weathered their first rain/wind storm in their new condos last night. Everyone did well including me :D
It's nice 50 degrees. Of course everyone is nice and cozy and don't want to come out ;)