Prepping for Arrival!

Astrid37

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia, USA
Greetings and Salutations! My 12 week old baby girl Western Hermann's from Garden State Tortoise arrives tomorrow before noon! I am beside myself with excitement!!!!!

I've gone through Chris' and the Mediterranean care sheets and think all is in good shape but just want to make sure no one spies any hazards that I missed in her new home. The substrate is fine orchid bark and coco coir. The plants are peperomia variegated scandens, peperomia blanda var. floribunda , and plectranthus australis, all of which seem to be safe based on either the TT or this forum. Temperatures are:
Ambient day: 84-87 F (CHE)
Ambient night: 76-80 F
Humidity: 83-85%
Basking: peak of 90 F (incandescent bulb)
UV: 2.7-4.2 uvi Arcadia 12%

The humid hide is on the same side of the viv as the CHE so stays on the warmer side of things day and night.

The UV light is on from 10:00am-3:30pm.
The basking light is on from 7:00am-7:30pm.
The LED ambient light is on from 7:00am-7:30pm.

There's a photo attached in case anyone has time to see if they notice any hazards that I missed.

Many thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Vivarium - Copy.jpg
    Vivarium - Copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a Hermanns, but per the caresheet the ambient day and night temps are a little high.
I would try to get it closer to 80 for day and the night ambient closer to the 70. Basking closer to 95, 90 is okay though.
Otherwise the enclosure looks great.
As soon as you get your tort, give him a nice warm soak, put him in the enclosure with food and water and leave him be ro explore until the next day.
Congrats and enjoy

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Please post pictures of your new tortoise when you can. How exciting...

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Greetings and Salutations! My 12 week old baby girl Western Hermann's from Garden State Tortoise arrives tomorrow before noon! I am beside myself with excitement!!!!!

I've gone through Chris' and the Mediterranean care sheets and think all is in good shape but just want to make sure no one spies any hazards that I missed in her new home. The substrate is fine orchid bark and coco coir. The plants are peperomia variegated scandens, peperomia blanda var. floribunda , and plectranthus australis, all of which seem to be safe based on either the TT or this forum. Temperatures are:
Ambient day: 84-87 F (CHE)
Ambient night: 76-80 F
Humidity: 83-85%
Basking: peak of 90 F (incandescent bulb)
UV: 2.7-4.2 uvi Arcadia 12%

The humid hide is on the same side of the viv as the CHE so stays on the warmer side of things day and night.

The UV light is on from 10:00am-3:30pm.
The basking light is on from 7:00am-7:30pm.
The LED ambient light is on from 7:00am-7:30pm.

There's a photo attached in case anyone has time to see if they notice any hazards that I missed.

Many thanks in advance!!
Where did you get your vivarium? Can’t wait to see pictures!!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
A pic of my western hermann Corsica locale from Chris. Which locale is yours?

Attachments

• 54A8E0DC-E407-4E5B-BD17-9AF22D9D5116.jpeg
    54A8E0DC-E407-4E5B-BD17-9AF22D9D5116.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Astrid37

Virginia, USA
Th
I don't have a Hermanns, but per the caresheet the ambient day and night temps are a little high.
I would try to get it closer to 80 for day and the night ambient closer to the 70. Basking closer to 95, 90 is okay though.
Otherwise the enclosure looks great.
As soon as you get your tort, give him a nice warm soak, put him in the enclosure with food and water and leave him be ro explore until the next day.
Congrats and enjoy
Thanks Wellington! I really appreciate your response and advice!