Preplanning Sulcata Enclosure...advice, tips, warnings PLEASE

Shutterbug

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hello everyone!
I am the owner to a 2 year old Sulcata tortoise. I am in western Canada where temperatures in winter can vary between -10 to -45.
I am wanting to pre plan and make sure I have a suitable set up so Olive can be as happy and healthy as possible during our winter months - when she is bigger and no longer able to come into the house.

Currently my plans are to purchase a prefab garage and customize it slightly (eliminating the garage doors) It would be 24x24, and of course insulated and heated.
Due to the occasional power outages and dangerous temperatures we reach, Im thinking of having a STURDY table/box built on one side and installing either a wood or pellet stove to ensure alternative heat sources that don't rely on electricity.

Of course one side will have a basking area with CHE, and UVB.

The enclosure will be attached to her large summer yard (approximately half an acre, but would eventually like to expand to an acre). Its already set up with posts, actual fencing begins next summer.

Looking for any more advice, recommendations, ideas that have worked well for others in northern climates, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!
I am the owner to a 2 year old Sulcata tortoise. I am in western Canada where temperatures in winter can vary between -10 to -45.
I am wanting to pre plan and make sure I have a suitable set up so Olive can be as happy and healthy as possible during our winter months - when she is bigger and no longer able to come into the house.

Currently my plans are to purchase a prefab garage and customize it slightly (eliminating the garage doors) It would be 24x24, and of course insulated and heated.
Due to the occasional power outages and dangerous temperatures we reach, Im thinking of having a STURDY table/box built on one side and installing either a wood or pellet stove to ensure alternative heat sources that don't rely on electricity.

Of course one side will have a basking area with CHE, and UVB.

The enclosure will be attached to her large summer yard (approximately half an acre, but would eventually like to expand to an acre). Its already set up with posts, actual fencing begins next summer.

Looking for any more advice, recommendations, ideas that have worked well for others in northern climates, etc.
Insulate WAAAAYYYYY more than you think you need to.

Floor heat. Redundant types, for over lap in case of failure. They make an electric type, and also a type that pumps hot water through pipes in the floor. I've had both and both are wonderful.

A wood stove ain't gonna cut it at -45 degrees. You need a serious built in generator that switches on automatically in case of power outage.

Basking areas and CHEs don't work for larger tortoises. That will burn the top of the carapace and still not properly warm the tortoise. Heat the whole room to 80-82 (at floor level where the tortoise is), and then make a night box (which simulates a tortoises warm burrow) that is kept heated to 86-88 all the time. Use a Kane heat mat and a RHP set on a thermostat for heating the box. Like this:

1/2 acre is plenty for a single sulcata, but nothing wrong with more space. Use a visual barrier all the way around. At least 12-16 inches high. No see-through fencing.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Insulate WAAAAYYYYY more than you think you need to.

Floor heat. Redundant types, for over lap in case of failure. They make an electric type, and also a type that pumps hot water through pipes in the floor. I've had both and both are wonderful.

A wood stove ain't gonna cut it at -45 degrees. You need a serious built in generator that switches on automatically in case of power outage.

Basking areas and CHEs don't work for larger tortoises. That will burn the top of the carapace and still not properly warm the tortoise. Heat the whole room to 80-82 (at floor level where the tortoise is), and then make a night box (which simulates a tortoises warm burrow) that is kept heated to 86-88 all the time. Use a Kane heat mat and a RHP set on a thermostat for heating the box. Like this:

1/2 acre is plenty for a single sulcata, but nothing wrong with more space. Use a visual barrier all the way around. At least 12-16 inches high. No see-through fencing.
What do you recommend for insulating a building like this for a tortoise?
I'm no carpenter ?, and most carpenters don't have to worry about building "house" for their pet! lol. I want it built properly the first time

In floor heating is not something I actually thought of, but I can definitely see it being a good idea. I forget sometimes that what we feel standing, is very different then what the tortoises feel being so close to the ground.

Do you recommend top soil for some substrate over the entire floor? Help make clean up easier during the winter and things a little more comfortable for her?

For a water area, would you simply recommend a kiddie pool, or would an indent in the cement be a better idea? I feel like a kiddie pool would be better for cleaning ease. We live in a very dry area, so I'd want to continue doing soaks even as she gets bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you recommend for insulating a building like this for a tortoise?
I'm no carpenter ?, and most carpenters don't have to worry about building "house" for their pet! lol. I want it built properly the first time

In floor heating is not something I actually thought of, but I can definitely see it being a good idea. I forget sometimes that what we feel standing, is very different then what the tortoises feel being so close to the ground.

Do you recommend top soil for some substrate over the entire floor? Help make clean up easier during the winter and things a little more comfortable for her?

For a water area, would you simply recommend a kiddie pool, or would an indent in the cement be a better idea? I feel like a kiddie pool would be better for cleaning ease. We live in a very dry area, so I'd want to continue doing soaks even as she gets bigger.
A dry area in BC? I didn't know such a thing existed! Shows you how ignorant I am about Canada.

Just tell whoever builds it that you want maximum insulation and sealing to keep the heat in and the cold out.

Soil should never be used for tortoises. Any substrate you use needs to be kept a little damp to prevent dust, so orchid bark purchased in bulk is probably the best way to go. You can use native dirt, but that might get muddy.

Kiddie pools have never worked well for me. They won't go in them voluntarily and once they get big enough they just crawl out or smash the sides down. I use pizza dough trays from a restaurant for drinking water, and I soak them in large horse troughs that they can't climb out of.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
A dry area in BC? I didn't know such a thing existed! Shows you how ignorant I am about Canada.

Just tell whoever builds it that you want maximum insulation and sealing to keep the heat in and the cold out.

Soil should never be used for tortoises. Any substrate you use needs to be kept a little damp to prevent dust, so orchid bark purchased in bulk is probably the best way to go. You can use native dirt, but that might get muddy.

Kiddie pools have never worked well for me. They won't go in them voluntarily and once they get big enough they just crawl out or smash the sides down. I use pizza dough trays from a restaurant for drinking water, and I soak them in large horse troughs that they can't climb out of.
I'm in SW Saskatchewan.

I dont know how to change it on my profile ?. I dont think there is a dry place in BC, but I've only been there once!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm in SW Saskatchewan.

I dont know how to change it on my profile ?. I dont think there is a dry place in BC, but I've only been there once!
You've only been there once but you used it as your location in your profile?

I thought it was part of the rainy PNW. I'm glad I'm not as ignorant as I thought.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Error when setting up. ?
I've wanted to change it to the proper province, but honestly, didn't think really bother to much with it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure all of BC is quite humid...and green ? we don't even have lawn this year.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
You might want to seek some expert advice in regard to the choice of insulation. You might have some unwanted moisture/condensation/mold issues heating a building to those temperatures with outdoor temperatures that low.

Also, I think a pellet stove might be a good choice as an emergency backup heater but I am not sure how you would regulate the temperature. I stayed in a friends cabin a few years ago that was heated by a modern pellet stove. I think you could have baked us with it if you wanted to.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I'm in SW Saskatchewan.

You’re very brave to raise a sulcata in our province! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for her winter enclosure. How big is she now?

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
You’re very brave to raise a sulcata in our province! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for her winter enclosure. How big is she now?
Shes 2.11lbs as of today!

It's definitely going to be alot of work, more work then I thought, even with all the research but Im committed to her care and giving her the best life I possibly can.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would definitely go with underfloor insulation. Be sure the floor/slab has insulation beneath. Where you are ground temperatures are often in the high 30°sF. The ground will suck what heat you provide constantly and be a huge heat sink. Bad enough for heating costs, but worse for the tortoise. The very shape of a tortoise tells you they use the ground for temperature moderation. Where they come from, that works well. But in colder climates it works against them. Most people spend a great deal of time and effort heating a room for their tortoise, but do not pay attention to the floor temperature which is most important for your tortoise. Your tortoise and your energy bill will thank you!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Rocket mass heater with the exhaust pipe running under the floor creating something of a climate battery.

Something like this can be adapted to do the bulk of the heating.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The best insulation for the floor in my opinion would be Foamglas. It's not affected by moisture and has working temperature range of -450 to +900 F. Concrete is a heat thief and hard to keep warm.