Preparing next year's outdoor enclosure for baby Sulcata in colder clim

Nessie

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Today I have been preparing my garden beds for winter. I have a large yard, which was originally set up as a permaculture garden. One third of the yard is fruit trees and ground cover beneath them, fruit bushes and annual veggies (for example, asparagus). Another third is garden beds..which are replanted each spring. The remaining third is grass and weeds growing together in an impressive balance of nature. I have always been happy with the lawn part of the yard because we have at least 30 different varieties of plants (mostly grasses) growing together and improving the soil. Of which I can identify, we have several types of grass, plantain, clover, dandelion, and several others I do not know what they are.

I am very excited to create an outdoor enclosure for my little hatchling. I know that I will be waiting until next spring to let her be outside, but I am mentally preparing now for how I will set things up.

What would be a good size for a baby Sulcata up to a year old? I want to give her as much room as she would use and then plan to expand the area the following spring.

The question I have is...Should I put down plastic to kill off the plants and then replant early next spring the area in which her enclosure will be? I would prefer to just build above a healthy patch of yard and give her the healthy weeds and variety that she would benefit from. My hesitation with this is...my yard has morning glories that sprout up everywhere and I am constantly pulling them. Also I have an unbelievable amount of volunteer tomato plants that sprout everywhere as well. There is also poke berry and lambs quarter that sprout wherever they can. My fear is that she would discover and eat the unhealthy plants before I could pull them up and that she would get sick from them. Would she avoid them by instinct? Or should I attempt to control the plants growing to ensure they are only what she can eat? I will put down plastic now before Winter if this is best...I just was thinking that the natural growth, and the plants who have perfected their own balance would be preferred if they would not pose a threat to her.

Also, if I should kill a section of the lawn and replant in the spring...are there any online sources for weed seeds? I have found dandelion and fescue plus a mixture of grass seed, but that is all.

Thanks for the input!
-Ness

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have the same situation here, lots of good mixed with bad. I pull the bad up and kept an eye on it over the spring. Over the course of the summer in my tort area which was about 6x17 for my yr old sully, the bad weeds were easy to keep up with and by the end of the summer I had none. I did order a few good seed mixes from carolina pet and tortoise supply online. They grow in fast.

Nessie

Ohio
I have the same situation here, lots of good mixed with bad. I pull the bad up and kept an eye on it over the spring. Over the course of the summer in my tort area which was about 6x17 for my yr old sully, the bad weeds were easy to keep up with and by the end of the summer I had none. I did order a few good seed mixes from carolina pet and tortoise supply online. They grow in fast.

I am inspired that you live in Ohio! : ) I am going to keep you in mind with climate questions! If you don't mind : ) I am slightly overwhelmed but up for the challenge to keep up with the speed of this tortoise. I have the yard for an enclosure, I just want to be on top of providing a good and happy home for her. I am in Columbus, Ohio. I still need to learn to identify the plants I do not know...some I have looked for but cannot figure out. And also to learn what is definitely a bad choice to have near Spica. Thanks for the information!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It is a bit overwhelming having a sulcata in the north :) but as long as you are commited, it can be done!