Preparing for a Hermann hatchling

kobemega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everybody!
I am trying to fully prepare an indoor enclosure for a Hermann tortoise that will be about 10-11 months old when I get him.
I've been researching them for at least a year now and I will soon be done with college and have enough time to care for him! Initially he will be in a tortoise table made from a dresser turned on its back, following some plans I found online. I haven't quite got around to finishing it yet, but I will have pictures up as soon as I can. I will definitely be taking him outside whenever the weather allows, as I know the sun and exercise are vital for a healthy tortoise.

For now though, I'm focused on perfecting his indoor enclosure.

As far as the substrate goes, I've heard tons of different opinions concerning sand, topsoil, coir, cypress mulch, shredded newspaper, etc. And as far as I can tell, there's always at least one person that has had a bad experience with every kind of substrate or mix thereof. I found this stuff on amazon and was hoping someone could tell me if this would be suitable for an approx. 11 month Hermann: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CY4ELE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Also, is that a good price on something like that?

The other question I have is regarding lighting. On this I have also heard many differing opinions. I have read both positive and negative things about the MVBs, the combo lights, the fluorescent lights, and even standard light bulbs. From what I gather, it is best to supply hatchlings with as much UV as possible throughout the day and not rely on a basking light for their primary UV intake. Would something like this be sufficient for him? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061V53Y/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I have a fixture for this type of bulb, leftover from a water dragon years ago. I would mount this just high enough that he would have constant exposure to the UV. I would also use a high voltage standard bulb as a basking light. I've read that too strong of a basking light can dry out a small Hermann rather quickly, and that a consistently dry environment can lead to pyramiding.

My last question has to do with the heating situation at night. I've heard some say that a dark heat light is necessary and others say that it is natural for them to experience temperatures as low as 50 degrees (F) at night. My house is usually kept around 70-74 degrees, maybe a little colder at night. During the winter the house is kept warm by a combination of central heating and a constantly burning furnace. I live in Michigan, so the cold weather does take up a relatively large part of the year.

I won't be getting the tortoise for a month or so, but I would like to be as ready as possible and start hoarding up all the amenities he will need. (I've already made a list of plants in the garden that he can eat, started growing some in the house already for him, and I've even bought a few packets of the special tortoise seed mix available online for next winter.) I do fully intend to spoil him, but I'd rather not spend money on things that he will never need.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have been looking forward to adopting this little guy for over a year now and I want to make sure he is well cared for!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Please let me know any little secrets or tips you have found that work for you. Even if it isn't exactly something I asked about, I would be happy to hear any advice at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Lovenmysuber

5 Year Member
US
Hi,

Congrats in advance on your new addition. I have only had my little guy for about 3-4 months so I am not an expert by any means. I use something similar to what you posted; it's called Coconut Substrate from Zoo Med. Here is the link, I buy the bricks & just let them soak. I also put some coco husk on the top of Fred's tortoise table.

For lighting I use this. It's a Zilla Slimline Desert Reptile, it's a fluorescent bulb; I don't use anything for bedtime. We are in Ct so temps similar to what you have.

I buy everything from Drs. Foster & Smith site they have great prices! Best of luck!

Jenn

kobemega

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thanks for the reply Jenn!
That light does seem better, looks like it would give a bigger area of UV light, which can only be a good thing I guess.
And thanks for the heads up on the website, I will be sure to bookmark it!