Predator Protection for Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all. I hope someone can give me some guidance about predator protection. Before I start to construct an outdoor enclosure I need to know what to do to keep out predators. Since I live in the Arizona desert, these are the critters that can come into my yard: rabbits, rock squirrels, chipmunks, rattlesnakes, coyotes, ants, scorpions, hawks, owls, roadrunner, quail, doves, finches, grackles, cactus wren, woodpeckers, ferrel cats (very few since the coyotes usually take care of them), and have even seen a javalina but don't think it can get over the fence, haha, and my toy poodle. Something has actually gotten into the jacuzzi, nested, and eaten the electrical wiring and plumbing, and also into my husbands car when it was parked on the driveway and eaten the electrical wiring.

I need to know if I should put anything under the ground (and what) if I use cinder blocks, and what type of cover is strong enough that the critters can't get into it. We will put out ant bait as that worked the last time we had an ant problem.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with these issue and I would really appreciate whatever advice you can give me.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
You should check out Tom's thread on Ants

You can see what I did for my hatchlings here

Lowe's has a variety of 'chicken wire'-type mesh that you can use for the top of the enclosure. Personally, I see it more as a deterrent since I don't leave the hatchlings outside unattended for long periods of time. Unless your outdoor enclosure is going to be your tort's permanent home I personally wouldn't worry about burying anything. Nothing is likely to get in (or out) during the daytime hours when your hatchling is out. And if something gets in at night you'll be sure to notice.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing pics of your enclosure once you have it further along.

DesertGrandma said:
Hi all. I hope someone can give me some guidance about predator protection. Before I start to construct an outdoor enclosure I need to know what to do to keep out predators. Since I live in the Arizona desert, these are the critters that can come into my yard: rabbits, rock squirrels, chipmunks, rattlesnakes, coyotes, ants, scorpions, hawks, owls, roadrunner, quail, doves, finches, grackles, cactus wren, woodpeckers, ferrel cats (very few since the coyotes usually take care of them), and have even seen a javalina but don't think it can get over the fence, haha, and my toy poodle. Something has actually gotten into the jacuzzi, nested, and eaten the electrical wiring and plumbing, and also into my husbands car when it was parked on the driveway and eaten the electrical wiring.

I need to know if I should put anything under the ground (and what) if I use cinder blocks, and what type of cover is strong enough that the critters can't get into it. We will put out ant bait as that worked the last time we had an ant problem.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with these issue and I would really appreciate whatever advice you can give me.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You Can Make Removable Lid from Wood, and cover it With Chicken wire or net!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
Hi...what type of tortoise are you making an enclosure for?

It's an enclosure for my baby babcocki. Will only be used a few hours during the day 'cause she will stay inside at night.

OllieInAZ said:
You should check out Tom's thread on Ants

You can see what I did for my hatchlings here

Lowe's has a variety of 'chicken wire'-type mesh that you can use for the top of the enclosure. Personally, I see it more as a deterrent since I don't leave the hatchlings outside unattended for long periods of time. Unless your outdoor enclosure is going to be your tort's permanent home I personally wouldn't worry about burying anything. Nothing is likely to get in (or out) during the daytime hours when your hatchling is out. And if something gets in at night you'll be sure to notice.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing pics of your enclosure once you have it further along.

DesertGrandma said:

Nice idea using the hinged tops. I plan to just use it during the day for daily sunnings. Tried to take my indoor enclosure outside, but it is just too heavy for me to lift. Really like your idea.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
It's been working well. I wish it was a bit more portable but that's my only issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.