Pre-hibernation behavior observations

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
torts and turts know things we do not, this year hibernation came early, my russians passed out in the early september, not all, others are still out and about chowing down. in my experience though a female is pacing when she needs to lay eggs, whether fertile or not, it was the only time i ever observed such a behavior. pre-hibernation here does not look like anything other than one day they were out and eating and the next - they are sleeping in the hay, and have been for a while now.

Su G.

torts and turts know things we do not, this year hibernation came early, my russians passed out in the early september, not all, others are still out and about chowing down. in my experience though a female is pacing when she needs to lay eggs, whether fertile or not, it was the only time i ever observed such a behavior. pre-hibernation here does not look like anything other than one day they were out and eating and the next - they are sleeping in the hay, and have been for a while now.

That’s interesting to hear how varying your tort’s hibernating start times are. Since my last post I’ve been able to get her eating again but very little. It’s funny to think how after all the adjustments I make, she still makes the final call on how much she wants to eat. Her instincts are amazing to observe.