Pre alpin testudo food

Mumsmad123

Location (City and/or State)
Reading, Berkshire, England
Hi guys has anyone here tried this food with their tortoises? I am trying to give mine a varied diet, she has all different leaves dandelion, curly kale to name a few, tomato occasionally, komodo pellets. I did buy some of the pre alpin food and soaked it as suggested and excuse my language but it looked like ****. My tortoise wasnt impressed but I dont know whether to keep trying. Please note my tortoise doesn't have all the items listed above every day I do vary it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
According to my Google search and the reply from "The Tortoise Lady", it sounds like pretty darned good stuff. I would keep trying:

Pre Alpin Food is a mixture of weeds and wild flowers grown and then dried epecially for tortoises and other animals.

This product is very high in fibre, so very good for tortoises. It comes in a dried form which needs soaking before feeding although some people do offer it dried. All information comes with it.
I personally soak it and then offer it to my tortoises. To start with you only need to prepare enough for that day and sprinkle over the usual foods that you feed, along with calcium carbonate. Then gradually increase it as they get used to it. I do have tortoises that eat it on it's own.
I especially find it useful for my tropicals and during the winter months.
Below is the nutitional values of the products and you can purchase from my shop.
Any questions please email me at [email protected]

Pre Alpin Testudo Herbs for all tortoises
Tortoises are herbivores which depend on high quality food. The observation of wild tortoises as well as the
examination of their anatomy and their digestive tract reveals what a diet is appropriate for these animals.
The well-developed appendix enables tortoises to extract a sufficient amount of nutrients from grasses and
herbs which are rich in crude fibre and, at the same time, have an extremely low protein content.
Extensively used meadows which are usually strongly fertilised are to rich for tortoises and may cause a multitude of diseases.
The food available for tortoises in their natural habitat resembles the plant variety of meagre Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.
Provided that their diet is natural and rich in herbs and that they are well kept tortoises may become very old.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre provide an appropriate food for these animals which is adjusted to their digestive apparatus.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and Testudo Fibre are therefore a valuable main component of the daily rations. The combination of fresh plants
from meagre meadows on which over 60 different grass and herb species grow offers a rich and balanced diet for the animals.

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch,
cat s tail, crested dogs s tail, perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:
  • Dry substance 92.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.27 %
  • Crude fibre 27.8 %
  • Iron 605 mg/kg
  • Crude protein 7.9 %
  • Manganese 68 mg/kg
  • Crude ashes 6.7 %
  • Carotene 45.1 mg/kg
  • Crude fat 2.2 %
  • Zinc 25 mg/kg
  • Calcium 0.58 %
  • Copper 4.7 mg/kg

These indications are average values ? minor variances are possible in natural products.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre

Tortoises are herbivores which depend on high quality food. The observation of wild tortoises as well as the examination of their
anatomy and their digestive tract reveals what a diet is appropriate for these animals.
The well-developed appendix enables tortoises to extract a sufficient amount of nutrients from grasses and herbs which are rich in crude
fibre and, at the same time, have an extremely low protein content. Extensively used meadows which are usually strongly fertilised are to
rich for tortoises and may cause a multitude of diseases. The food available for tortoises in their natural habitat resembles the plant variety of meagre
Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.

Provided that their diet is natural and rich in herbs and that they are well kept tortoises may become very old.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre provide an appropriate food for these animals which is adjusted to their digestive apparatus.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and Testudo Fibre are therefore a valuable main component of the daily rations. The combination of fresh
plants from meagre meadows on which over 60 different grass and herb species grow offers a rich and balanced diet for the animals.

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady?s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch, cat s tail, crested dog s tail,
perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others, linseed oil

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:
  • Dry substance 92.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.26 %
  • Crude fibre 26.8 %
  • Iron 570 mg/kg
  • Crude protein 7.6 %
  • Manganese 81 mg/kg
  • Crude ashes 7.3 %
  • Carotene 51 mg/kg
  • Crude fat 2.4 %
  • Zinc 31 mg/kg
  • Calcium 0.58 %
  • Copper 4.7 mg/kg

These indications are average values ? minor variances are possible in natural products.

Agrobs PRE ALPIN Testudo Baby for all juvenile tortoises (with a weight of up to 200g)
The diet of wild tortoises is always determined by the vegetation in their natural habitat.
In their original environment the actual vegetation period is usually limited to a short time followed by dryness and heat from midsummer to fall.
The crude fibre content of the plants is relatively low and the protein content quite high during springtime.
  • During summer herbs and grasses will age. The crude fibre content therefore increases in midsummer while the protein content strongly decreases.
  • To meet the requirements of the organism the diet of pet tortoises should also be adjusted to the respective season.
The nutritional requirements of baby tortoises resemble those of fully grown tortoises. They primarily need herbs and grasses from meagre meadows with a high plant diversity.
Even though this seems harsh a restrained diet scanty to human standards is recommendable.

This is the only way to ensure an appropriate slow growth and to avoid consequential health problems.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Baby is a particularly fine food adjusted to the needs of young tortoises.
The components are leaves and seeds rich in vital substances from meagre Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.

Due to the fine composition and the extra short fibre length even juvenile animals of a weight of up to 200 g can be supplied with a sufficient amount of crude fibre and vital substances.

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo BABY:
  • Dry substance 92.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.3 %
  • Crude fibre 26.4 %
  • Iron 516 mg/kg
  • Crude protein 9.6 %
  • Manganese 52 mg/kg
  • Crude ashes 7.4 %
  • Zinc 34 mg/kg
  • Crude fat 2.5 %
  • Carotene 15.2 mg/kg
  • Calcium 0.6 %
Copper 3.6 mg/kg