Praying mantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Just wondering if anyone has housed a praying mantis with a tortoise? I have a red foot in a 4 x 8 enclosed pen and wondering if I could introduce a mantis in there to help with bug control. I also have two hermit crabs in the pen. Are they poisonous to the tortoise or will they bite and stress the tortoise out?

Katherine

5 Year Member
I would be far more worried for the mantis than the tortoise! How big is the redfoot we are talking about? I agree with the above poster, a tasty snack, or even just a trampled mantis may be in your tortoises future. I guess I may hesitate before putting one in with a hatchling, but if its a grown tortoise that bug is history...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I used mantises to control some unwanted critters in my enclosures, but the strong possibility of them becoming a snack for the tortoises is a given for me.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
you might try RollyPollies (Pill Bugs) I am using them in my indoor enclosure to eliminate the insects that decided "Phase I" of my Twin Enclosure was nothing more than low rent houseing for thier young! I figure after the insects are gone, the Rollie Pollies will die off and leave little calcium pills all over the place!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The tortoise is about 7 in. Thank you for the reply. I am not as worried about Sid eating the mantis as I am about the mantis hurting Sid so if there is no harm for Sid I think I am going to give it a try. I find Sid to be pretty mild, almost think he is a vegetarian...lol. I have tried to offer him bugs and he has nev been interested. Mushrooms are his/her favorite!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Zamric said:
you might try RollyPollies (Pill Bugs) I am using them in my indoor enclosure to eliminate the insects that decided "Phase I" of my Twin Enclosure was nothing more than low rent houseing for thier young! I figure after the insects are gone, the Rollie Pollies will die off and leave little calcium pills all over the place!

Lol. That is one of the overpopulated bugs I was hoping a mantis might like:0)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Have never done this, i doubt it would be much harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.