Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
pi01 said:
Balboa said:
Neal said:
So, after almost a year, I finally sat down and intentionally read Balboa's article. In all honesty, this needs a lot more attention by us and tortoise keepers in general. I would suggest reading the glossary section first, then read the article so you have a better understanding of the terms used. With the onset of cooler temperatures and indoor housing, I've been researching better ways to provide adequate indoor lighting for my tortoises and I really think Balboa has hit the nail right on the head here.

Question Balboa - have you tried your "Lighting Schedule Idea"? If so, can you give us some info on how it is working? and if not, do you mind if I adopt it and post about it here?

As I've discussed with you, I recently set up a new lighting system with a T8 - Reptisun 10.0 and a T8 full spectrum "daylight" bulb, which are on 12 hours a day. Then my MVB is on for two hours in the morning, and two in the evening. Almost instantly I noticed an increase in activity level and apatite with my hatchlings. I'm curious to take it even further with the lighting schedule idea you proposed, and adding an actinic light to come on at the same time my MVB's are on.

Actually, you're giving me a little nudge here. Once upon a time my redfoots were on a "staggered timer" dimmer lights first and last, brighter in the middle of the day. Then one of the timers died a while back, and all lights went onto one. I need to get around to replacing it.

The staggered timers thing is just a "common sense" idea to me, but I think it would be tough to determine how beneficial it may, or may not be.

You're not the first person I've seen that has echoed exactly what I've seen, and that's improved activity levels from improved lighting. Dim lighting means winter, winter means hibernation, or at least reduced activity. Its instinctive in most creatures, even us.

Great article! Thanks for taking the time to write this. If anyone wants to take this one step further and expand their knowledge on lighting without having to read technical manuals, I recommend you spend some additional time on some of the Reef forums (reefcental.org, reefs.org). Coral requires a LOT of light and there are some great reads there. There are several articles from some well renowned researchers included.

Balboa - Have you looked in to VHO lighting (110w/tube @ 48"). Connected to an electronic ballast (like IceCap) you can wire them to controllers that will dim the tubes to simulate dusk, dawn, cloudy days, seasonal changes...

Thanks!
You're right about Reef Forums (and Planted Aquarium, I have some background there too) being a good source of information.

I've never played with VHO lighting, though you're right there certainly are some great benefits. In the case of reptile lighting I'm not sure it would pay off though. For that kind of money we could get into metal halides, which I think would probably be better.

I tend to be a cheapskate, and am always looking for the easy, cheap solutions. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Balboa,
Great article, I've been trying to set up my enclosure to include some of this lighting regime as it seems extremely logical. I can't imagine sitting in room with only one light source, no need to subject my tortoises to such banal lighting either.

I have a simple question concerning the outlined lighting regime, and it may sound foolish, but I'm not sure what to use for a "daylight" bulb? Usually I have my UVB bulb serving as the "daylight", but you placed this in a separate category along the time scale (9am). Are you using your T-12 shop-lights for this lighting period (daylight)?

I'm curious, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.