Powersun 100w has trouble with timer

usameisje

Location (City and/or State)
Redmond,WA
The bulb works great if i just plug the lamp into the wall. If i turn it off and plug the lamp into a timer it doesn’t turn on when I try the switch.
I tried the timer with other things and it works. Does the ballast in the bulb prevent it from coming on right away?

Thanks for reading my first post!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The bulb works great if i just plug the lamp into the wall. If i turn it off and plug the lamp into a timer it doesn’t turn on when I try the switch.
I tried the timer with other things and it works. Does the ballast in the bulb prevent it from coming on right away?

If it's a Mercury vapor bulb you have to give it a few minutes after you unplug it before it will come back on.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
What kind of timer are you using? I'm not an expert on timers, but I was less than pleased with a programmable power strip I got a couple years ago. One little power flicker in Florida, and it through everything off. The timer never worked right after that, so I turn my PowerSun 100W UVB lamps on/off manually. When the power flickers, they automatically turn themselves off for 10-15 minutes, then they come back on again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What species are you housing under that bulb? What size? MVBs will cause pyramiding, they are unreliable, and some of them stop producing any UV prematurely. I'd use something else.