Potting Shed for Permanent Outdoor Enclosure - UK (South)

munkster

Location (City and/or State)
Ashford
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so sorry if this had already been discussed or is in the wrong section.

I have a creep of 8 western Hermann tortoises which I would like to house outside permanently.
I am being gifted an ex-display model of this 8x6ft Potting Shed.
It will be delivered and installed within 4-6 weeks and I need to prepare a foundation beforehand.
1629187862433.png

Do you have any recommendations for the best foundation to use? Also, any recommendations for converting this potting shed into a 24/7 outdoor home?
I intend to insulate, add UV light and tubular heat under the shelf. I will add an L shaped floor section for them to roam and allow me access without walking through their enclosure.

Eventually I would like to cut out a door on the side which will lead to a caged outdoor enclosure, but first I need to prepare the garden for the shed.

Thanks and appreciate any advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot area. A 6x8 foot is not big enough to live in 24/7. Plus you need to seperate them unless you have one Male to the rest females.
What is the Male to female ratio?

munkster

Ashford
One needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot area. A 6x8 foot is not big enough to live in 24/7. Plus you need to seperate them unless you have one Male to the rest females.
What is the Male to female ratio?
2 males 6 females. The shed ideally will be their nigh time enclosure with an outdoor run mixed between cold frames and open air. At the moment they are in an outdoor enclosure 720x240cm. So hopefully the total floor space would be sufficient.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should divide them into two groups. I male too 3 females. Or rehome a male.
The two groups will help keep everyone happier. The two males will be much happier and less stressed without another male in his territory and the females won't have two males bothering them non stop and they will be less stressed. Stress is a killer and a hindrance to their eating and growing normally.
I wouldn't take up any shed space for anything other then their floor space. Build a low enough dividing wall that can be stepped over.