Potential owner questions

DaniH

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Ok so my in laws were out today and came across a store selling some small African spur thigh tortoises and almost bought one to give to my family. Thankfully they called me first before doing so because I talked them out of it till I did more research. Doing just a little bit of research I found that they are probably young Sulcatas. So I guess onto my questions.
1. What’s the proper care for a small Sulcata? Size of enclosure, substrate, etc? I’m not 100% sure on size since I couldn’t see them in person but maybe 3 inches at most.
2. Would now be a bad time to get one with it being on the verge of fall? With the size it would more than likely be kept inside anyway but would it be better to get one in the spring if the decision is to get one?
3. From the little bit I saw of them they looked like they might already be having some pyramiding issues and being kept very dry compared to what people seem to keep them on here. As well as only being fed romaine lettuce. So if we got one of these what could we do to fix the problems?
4. The shop owner I talked to just a bit said that they grow to the size of their container. I absolutely hate that someone is passing around that information and makes me feel so badly for those two little ones. Anything I can do to help give them the right info?

The more I think about it the less I think it would be right to buy from this shop but I feel so badly for these little tortoises. Maybe better not to buy them? And if we decide to get one eventually go the way of a reputable breeder or a rescue? I’m very much so of the mind to do lots of research before ever getting an animal so pointing me in the direction of good information would be great.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Do not buy from him. They are likely damaged beyond repair, and if you got one, it would likely die months later from renal failure from being kept dry. It’s a good thing you talked your family out of it.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Make sure you have a well-sized enclosure/vivarium, cage, or table, already setup with lighting and heating before purchasing a tortoise.

3. Young tortoises that were raised in dry conditions and unbalanced diets have a higher chance of developing health complications that can results to deaths in the near future. Some people may have the resources and are willing to take that risk. Others may not. I generally advise new potential owners against taking such risks. Veterinarian bills are quite high and most vets do not practice or follow the latest care information on tortoises.

4. A large portion of the pet industry, rescues, veterinary hospitals, and wildlife organizations are still using many outdated tortoise practices from decades past. You can offer them and potential customers updated care sheets from this website, however, such actions would either be dismissed or be seen as confrontational. It's hard to report someone when even wildlife and animal organizations don't all follow the same care guidelines.

I'm with @TechnoCheese. Avoid that pet shop and purchase a hatchling from a reputable dealer recommended from this site. Ask to see pictures of the tortoise, the enclosures, and their diet before making any decisions. Tortoises are an 30-100+ year investment. Take your time and don't make impulse buys.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Another good indicator to not buy one from this pet shop ...shop owner I talked to just a bit said that they grow to the size of their container....

Maybe the pet shop owner was telling the truth. Are one of these tortoises pictured the size of the container?
5696b2a24618c085f2d572d120a14be1.jpg

DaniH

Texas
That particular thing of them growing to container size told me he didn’t know anything about keeping them but I’m a big bleeding heart and hate seeing animals being kept wrong... definitely have thought better of buy them though because that just wouldn’t be a good idea for multiple reasons. I keep fish and hear the saying constantly and it bugs the tar out of me but I never would have thought I’d hear it about something like a tortoise.

My husband loves how big they get and is all hooked on getting one now. But from someone who knows what they are doing thankfully and he’s willing to help me research and get things setup first.

I’ve been reading the things that y’all gave me to read and they are very helpful so thank you so much.

DaniH

Texas
I generally don’t do impulse buys with animals. I think I’ve done it twice both times as a teenager and I learned the hard way not to buy something without getting the right info first.
So getting as much right as I can before I buy is a major thing for me.

gkg2423

Ambala
Its always good to bring home the best of the pets so it would be easier to keep them healthy.

But when i brought my little star, unfortunately i was not able to go to the pet shop personally and I had to get him that day only. So someone else brought him home. I wanted to be there to select the most active and beautiful one. I was worried what would happen if i get the one which was not taken care of properly (I decided to ask shopkeeper for other one had the worse happened) If he was one with some problems. But then I thought if the shop keeper is not taking good care of the pets its his fault not the pets'. They do deserve better care even those with problems (may be more than the healthy ones) and may be i can give better environment to the pet. So i prepared myself mentally for that situation and ready to take care of the one coming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Really doesn't matter what time of year you get one because at that size they have to be kept in the house. Don't think about getting a pair so they can keep each other company. They don't do well in pairs.

SheLLife

Kentucky
I generally don’t do impulse buys with animals. I think I’ve done it twice both times as a teenager and I learned the hard way not to buy something without getting the right info first.
So getting as much right as I can before I buy is a major thing for me.
Lol what were your impulse buys?

DaniH

Texas
One was Hermit crabs which require a ton more care than I was told at the store and I was a know it all teen who thought I was doing things right until they started dying a month later.
2. I can’t think of what animal it was but there was something else.... oh! I remember now it was some blind cave tetra which I did a one website search that said they were peaceful and wouldn’t destroy anything and did well in a ten gallon tank. Got 6 blind cave tetra and a week later I had no plants left and the couple other fish I had left were hiding behind the filter and would barely come out to eat because the other fish terrorized them

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
One was Hermit crabs which require a ton more care than I was told at the store and I was a know it all teen who thought I was doing things right until they started dying a month later.
2. I can’t think of what animal it was but there was something else.... oh! I remember now it was some blind cave tetra which I did a one website search that said they were peaceful and wouldn’t destroy anything and did well in a ten gallon tank. Got 6 blind cave tetra and a week later I had no plants left and the couple other fish I had left were hiding behind the filter and would barely come out to eat because the other fish terrorized them
I can top That! Many years ago my wife brought home a puppy that she *claimed* to have obtained from a lady giving them away out the back of her truck. A week later I found the receipt for him for $600 from a pet store!

I was ticked to say the least, so I went to a pet store and bought the first scariest thing I could find that I knew she'd hate. In this case it was a bird- eating tarantula that I paid $125 for.

Well, it soon backfired on me cuz I was too afraid to feed the damn thing (I'm severe arachnophobic) and it died 2 weeks later.

Moral of this story is that I'm an idiot, and you should never impulse-shop (or revenge-shop) for pets. Lol

otrcoyote

Apache Junction,AZ
I would do the research first about care of the animal, housing, both inside and outside, The short term financial costs for ALL of this path of becoming a committed owner. Then and only then find a breeder for a new hatchling. Also you can look for a Rescue locally or contact your states Fish & Game Dept for a possible Adoption program (like in AZ) which may be free. My point being think about what will work in your situation, make the preparations first, then find your dream Tort. Good Luck on the Journey :tort::tort::):)