Posting for a 14 year old girl(Lilly) & her 7 year old female Sulcata(Loka).

Mikki

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Fl
I do get grass into my little one, but I have to cut it up with scissors and mix it with greens OR mix it with Mazuri.. She will not just eat grass on her own yet.. I also have Teff Hay pellets that I mix with Mazuri or her greens.. I give her grass every day and give her more grass than greens or Mazuri.. My Vet told me she will eat grass and graze when she is ready to, that many babies do not so what I am doing is OK, that at least I am getting grass into her.. IF you have any other suggestions, I am open & welcome them.. I love my tortoise so much, I am obsessed with making sure she has the right stuff and I try very hard to keep her shell looking nice with no pyramiding.. Thank you so much for all your info, and input.. It really is amazing to be on this forum, and get all the positive feed back.. You all ROCK!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am in Florida so my little one has an above ground enclosure that is predator proof that we built.. She does get lots of sunshine, but last two weeks, it has been cold here, and she literally got 20 minutes of sunshine.. I don't use a UVB light because she gets outside.. I honestly do not know what is to cold for a 6 month old.. Can she got outside if it is 70 and cloudy that day with a breeze? Can she got out if it is 74 and the same way.. I am afraid of her getting sick, but I just don't know what is to cold for a little one to be outside in.. I have hay in her hide in the outside enclosure.. If it is cold, I think she goes into her hay, but than i bring her inside, because it defeats the purpose of her getting sunshine rays...
Those are questions for people that have sulcottas. But all the other stuff sounds pretty normal for a tortoise. My little Russian sometimes throws a little hissy fit and tromps thru his stuff. He doesn't as much anymore and I really think he's not unhappy. He's just adjusted to the routine over the years.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you so much for responding.. I am in Florida and have a 6 month old little one, but I do agree, NY will be hard and LOKA right now has the run of the house because she has no outside enclosure.. That is what I told Lilly, if she is laying them she not egg bound, but she is not laying them all at once for some reason.. She as of today has laid a total of 3 but she is getting them out..
I'm thinking I remember something in my sister's Leopard yard, and I don't remember all the why's and where fores, but when her tortoises had a problem laying, she always turned heat on them, and that helped. Your friend's tort lays when the heat is on her? Right?

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I'm thinking I remember something in my sister's Leopard yard, and I don't remember all the why's and where fores, but when her tortoises had a problem laying, she always turned heat on them, and that helped. Your friend's tort lays when the heat is on her? Right?
yes, and Loka is now having the Basking light during the day and CHE at night