Post Drowning

Hannahm

Location (City and/or State)
Chino hills
Hi all,

On Tuesday we found our 14 year old sulcata at the bottom of our pool. We don't know how long he was down there but we got him right out. after 2.5 hours of deep breaths spitting out water popping he stabilized and seemed very normal besides some bubbling in his breath.
Wednesday he slept a lot
Todya (Thursday) he got a big sluggish for 2-3 hours has some nasal drip and water from his mouth. The bubbling seemed louder. But by the end of the day he was walking like normal has a good appetite.
We aren't sure if there is anything else we can do to help get water out of his airways or if it's just a wait and watch. Any suggestions on how to help him?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you able to pick him up? Torts do not have a diaphragm, so they are unable to cough. If you can pick him up, hold him vertical with his head down for a bit. Hopefully gravity will get some water out.

Keep him warm! 85degF all the time. We're trying to prevent an RI, so heat is critical.

I usually don't advocate vet trips, but if the nose drips don't clear up in 2-3 days, I would go to the vet. Just too high a risk to wait.

Other more knowledgeable members will be on in the morning. They may have better ideas.

Sure hope he'll be OK!

Reactions: Tom

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You should probably take him to a vet. Somebody here also had a drowning incident where the turtle survived but ended up dying some time later. If I remember correctly when they performed a necropsy the turtle had some kind of infection inside from the water it had inhaled.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would take him to a reputable vet for xrays and possible antibiotics/treatment for pneumonia.
I am not one to run to a vet or to suggest it. However I think in this situation its warranted.
I also hope the pool is getting blocked off.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
your tortoise needs on antibiotics at minimum , i'd think probably an anti-inflamatory and/or a diuretic (a vet) , imo , it's kind of a big deal ..... i don't believe people almost drown and just get better on their own ......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What we do for drowning victims is to hold them with their head pointing up to the sky, and supporting the neck, swing them down towards the ground quickly. Do this several times to get the fluid out of the lungs.

And now that the horse has escaped the barn, fence off the pool.