Possibly ending a tetra's suffering

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The neon tetra was bit a little over a week ago, and I'm wondering if I should end it's suffering or if you guys think it's going to make it.
The first day I noticed that it was bit, it was having issues staying "flat" it acted like it had air in it's head. The second day it was the tail that had air, and the third day it was the head again. After that, I noticed that it was starting to get pale and just acting weird. I was thinking that it was able to get food, so I put in the fish net and "floated" that and added some food. He's been laying on the net ever since then. I've been feeding him flakes and bloodworms, and I've never seen him eat, but it has been disappearing (could just be the other fish eating through the net) and he's been slowly getting paler and paler. A few days ago I let him out to see if he could swim, and he did loops for a few seconds then stuck to the filter, and I put him back in. Yesterday I let him out again and he ended up laying on the rocks. Today I noticed that he looked very pale, and I just feel like he's not going to make it.
He barely moves in the net, I've ended up taking the whole net out few times so I could let him swim, but he wouldn't move at all. If I submerge the top of the net he does try to swim out.

I just want to know peoples opinion on what I should do. I feel so bad that he's going through this, and I want to end his suffering, but I don't want to if he has a chance of surviving.

Hopefully I'm able to get the picture up. If I do, the camera makes him look brighter than he does in person.

Attachments

• 1513888805304721750945.jpg
    1513888805304721750945.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 59

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you care too much to flush him down the drain.
I've been told that placing them in the freezer is humane.
I have no way of verifying that.
Most of my fishes are over 2 pounds and require a garden burial.

Tortski

Arizona
If you care too much to flush him down the drain.
I've been told that placing them in the freezer is humane.
I have no way of verifying that.
Most of my fishes are over 2 pounds and require a garden burial.
Thanks. I ended up putting him in a sandwich bag with a coner filled with water and smacked it on the bricks outside. Did the job pretty well

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
YUCK...... That sounds horrible. Did you have anything in the tank before the little neon tetras??? How old is that tank???

Tortski

Arizona
YUCK...... That sounds horrible. Did you have anything in the tank before the little neon tetras??? How old is that tank???
I feel horrible that I did it, but it was for the best.
The tank itself is quite a few years. I'm not quite sure when my mom took over, or if the water was changed or not. I'm not quite sure anymore. We got them when every fish in the tank started dropping like flies (my mom clean the filter and plugged in the heater that she didn't plug in for some reason) Around the same time we got some new guppies that have been breeding. One of the newest females (got her around a month ago) also has a little triangle in her tail, and one of the month-olds seemed to be missing most of it's tail. Both swimming fine, but I haven't looked for the baby yet.

We got a bunch of new fish a little after we got the new female. Pleco, dwarf sucker fish, 3 black neons (my dad didn't see the regular ones until after he got someone to fish them out) and some red minor tetras to add to our school (5 currently).

I have a feeling that it's the Betta that's doing it. My dad added him after he was starting to look like he was going to die in my dad's tank (fairly new, and the only tank mate of the Betta has passed. He changed the water and waited a few days and got a Betta to test it today). The 1st betta's doing well now, but I first noticed the bites after he was added.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
The only advice is to, Blindly do, only, 1/4 water change keeping in mind the same temp should slowly trickle back in again. And do that every other day for 3 times...That may fix your problem. If all becomes stable then after that I would do 1/4 water change every month after that. BACK OFF ON THE FEEDING. Only feed a few flakes or pellets at a time over a span of 15 minutes a day...Food should not drop far into the tank.

Tortski

Arizona
The only advice is to, Blindly do, only, 1/4 water change keeping in mind the same temp should slowly trickle back in again. And do that every other day for 3 times...That may fix your problem. If all becomes stable then after that I would do 1/4 water change every month after that. BACK OFF ON THE FEEDING. Only feed a few flakes or pellets at a time over a span of 15 minutes a day...Food should not drop far into the tank.
I'm definitely going to have to wait to change the water. One of the girls gave birth a few days ago and I don't want to accidentally suck one up.
For the food, I have a feeling that I'm doing okay. Maybe a teensy bit over feeding, but not alot. I do have the food sink, because I want the newborns to be able to get food (tiny pieces), and also the other fish that hide in places where they can't see food

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I feel horrible that I did it, but it was for the best.
The tank itself is quite a few years. I'm not quite sure when my mom took over, or if the water was changed or not. I'm not quite sure anymore. We got them when every fish in the tank started dropping like flies (my mom clean the filter and plugged in the heater that she didn't plug in for some reason) Around the same time we got some new guppies that have been breeding. One of the newest females (got her around a month ago) also has a little triangle in her tail, and one of the month-olds seemed to be missing most of it's tail. Both swimming fine, but I haven't looked for the baby yet.

We got a bunch of new fish a little after we got the new female. Pleco, dwarf sucker fish, 3 black neons (my dad didn't see the regular ones until after he got someone to fish them out) and some red minor tetras to add to our school (5 currently).

I have a feeling that it's the Betta that's doing it. My dad added him after he was starting to look like he was going to die in my dad's tank (fairly new, and the only tank mate of the Betta has passed. He changed the water and waited a few days and got a Betta to test it today). The 1st betta's doing well now, but I first noticed the bites after he was added.

DON’T feel horrible. You put a quick end to his suffering. What would have been horrible would have been to let him continue to suffer until he died.
I feel very strongly that you did ABSOLUTELY the right thing.[emoji173]️

Tortski

Arizona
DON’T feel horrible. You put a quick end to his suffering. What would have been horrible would have been to let him continue to suffer until he died.
I feel very strongly that you did ABSOLUTELY the right thing.[emoji173]️
Thank you