Possibly adopting a 5 yr old Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

thea lester

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
I've been considering adopting a 5 yr old Sulcata female and she is in terrible shape. I'm receiving her vet records tomorrow but so far I know she has a soft shell in places and some pyramiding and maybe swayback. btw I've kept the same two 3 toed boxies for 28yrs. I have a big enclosed backyard that I could outfit for her needs. I live in New Orleans and I am concerned about overwintering her. It doesn't freeze but...
Any and all advice, stories are welcome! Thanks for your help, Thea

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Thea, I can't advise you, but I can say that I sincerely hope for the tort's sake that you adopt her. You care enough to have looked into what her needs will be, which can't be said for either her previous owner nor many of her potential future owners. If she goes to someone who continues her current bad care... well, it doesn't bear thinking about. At only 5 years old, I would think that with proper care just about anything that's wrong with her could be, if not reversed, at least kept from causing further damage to her health. The experienced members of this forum will help you with any questions you may have along the way. But just the fact that you are here now tells me you are the best bet this poor tort has.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should be able to set her up in a heated tort/dog house type enclosure for the cooler winter months. What are your winter lows?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't live in New Orleans, but it's only about 4 hours west from where I live in Florida. In the winter, it gets cold enough to have the tort taken inside or have a really warm outside enclosure. This poor tort is already been through enough that to subject her to temps that can make her suffer more is unthinkable. Outside sunshine in good weather is preferable than being inside; however, an outside enclosure needs to be water proof and cold proof in order to keep her outside. Outside enclosures should have temps no lower than 70 degrees at all times. Search this forum for ideas on how to build a good outdoor enclosure equipped with heating/cooling, lighting, and humidity mechanisms. Best to you both.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you will need to keep your boxies separate from the sulcata...
and heating is not that hard. I would bet the sulcata has MBD....sunshine, excerzise, good food and calcium.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Well, the sad news is: the Sulcata was put to sleep yesterday. Upon her final veterinary visit they decided that her MBD was so far advanced that her internal organs were being compromised and her rear legs were virtually paralyzed.

The fellow that found her (in the closet of an apt he moved in to) is very sad, as am I, but I do believe it was the best thing to be done in the end.

Thanks to all of you who replied with advice, and I wish you and yours the best of health.
Thea

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sad. Some members of the human race disgust me. But then people like YOU come along and renew my hope for our species. Thank you for trying.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
How awful. How can people be so ignorant, to the point of sheer cruelty? It makes me so sad for these animals. Like Tom said, thank you for trying.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
A very sad story... I'm sorry it didn't work out and that she didn't make it. I can't believe someone would just leave an animal in a closet. That's very depressing to think about.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
So sad to think that the tortoise has been living in a closet and didn't get a chance to live a better life. :(

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, the whole thing's really been haunting me and the fella who found her. I really wish I could say it surprised me, but over the years I have just seen so much neglect and abuse and misinformation out there... It's really hard sometimes isn't it? But that's why We are all here on the forum, right? Keep up the good work fellow chelonianerds!
Chins up!
T

Status
Not open for further replies.