Possible problem with Tank

lichjen

5 Year Member
My sons tortoise Tank - (who weighs 32 grams) keeps ending up on his back. He is eating, drinking, defecating. I am not sure if this is normal or not. His substrate is aspen - but Gypsy who weighs 50 grams does not fall over. I know I have a week "warranty" on him - but I could also take him to the vet. - but I also do not want to freak out if this is nothing as well (the reptile vet is not there every day)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi usually when they end up on their back it is because they are climbing on something in their enclosure and causing them to flip over. Check his enclosure and see what's going on. Usually logs or rocks or food bowls or water bowls. Hope that helps

lichjen

5 Year Member
right now he has a hide and two dishes (food and water) - I don't have any climbing stuff yet - til they are a bit bigger

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post pictures of your tortoises and enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is he in a glass tank? He is possibly trying to climb the glass to get out to the other side. Block the glass just high enough that he can't see out. If that's not it, check the hide, is it a half log? Remove it and make something with straight sides. If he is in an enclosure with sharp/square corners, place a pice of wood, across the corner on the inside to make it more like a slanted corner or angled corner.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I agree with what everyone else has contributed here. We could better assist you if you provided some pictures of your enclosure.

I would say Tank is climbing something and tipping over on his carapace. I would also ditch the aspen and switch to a different substrate. Coco coir mixed with some organic topsoil (from outside even, it's free!!!) seems to work well. Just be sure there are no bits of perlite (white flecks) in the soil. Others have used cypress mulch, douglas fir mulch, and other hardwood mulches (not cedar or pine). Great discussion on suitable substrates here in the enclosure forum and at www.tortoiselibrary.com.

If you have the funds, I'd highly recommend this book: http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

If you have a hydroponics store in your area, you can usually get 5kg bails of coco coir for $10-15, it's much more affordable than the 3 bricks for $8 at the pet stores. http://www.hydroponicshopsofamerica.com/product_p/bwgs-cfc305.htm

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
some are "climbers" and some are not. Climbers will chimney up corners until they are too heavy or long to get up far enough to flip. It's almost a death sentence, you have to drastically redesign all enclosures to minimize flips and heat sources/water sources so the tort doesn't drown or bake if they do flip. Sorry that's apparently part of the torts cons..

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
If anything, I see a tort that's constantly flipping over as a good thing! Sick torts don't bother to climb, much less move around a lot.

lichjen

5 Year Member
No he's in a rubbermaid tank for now (it's what my snakes use as a starter tank) He may be climbing on the side as I know my new snake is freaking out. The hides in both tanks are rodent hides (plastic for now)

and they have two dishes in their tanks - so far that is all I have in their tanks - Today after my son is done with the online school where has to speak with the teachers I am headed to the store to get some cypress mulch

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
only thing is I've seen posted on forums is that red foot torts can't really right themselves that well (my experience as well).. I've heard so many stories of red foot deaths b/c of it. Now I've never heard of a box turtle dying related to flipping over so to that extent I'd agree with you.

If you can avoid reusing predator cages for "prey" that would probably be a good idea, there are probably subtle scents that are not settling for the redfoot

lichjen

5 Year Member
Ok, just an update - he is in cypress mulch and I have moved his cage out of my son's room so I can keep a better eye on him. I found him only flipping when he tries to get in or out of the food bowl and that is only occasionally. He's an active and silly little boy! Unlike Gypsy who does not move much, except to eat

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Possible problem with Tank

lichjen said:
Ok, just an update - he is in cypress mulch and I have moved his cage out of my son's room so I can keep a better eye on him. I found him only flipping when he tries to get in or out of the food bowl and that is only occasionally. He's an active and silly little boy! Unlike Gypsy who does not move much, except to eat

I recommend a terra cotta (sp?) dish. Very low to the ground.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most of the bowls sold for reptiles are kind of high for tortoises. Try a water bowl that is sunk in the substrate, and a flat food dish. Many use something like a margarine tub lid, I personally just used folded pieces of newspaper.