Possible MBD in Baby Sulcata?

Chucklehutch

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
How is your tortoise doing, @cait_lr? I also bought a new hatchling sulcata from Tortoise Town about a month ago, and I did not have the wonderful information found on this forum to guide me. My tortoise was also lethargic and not eating, worse over the last week. While I am in the process of creating a more suitable enclosure, tin foil has come to my aid and I am able to maintain temps above 80 and humidity above 80%. And my tortoise is much happier, seems to be eating better, and more active. However, given what Tom has said, I worry about the long term prognosis for my tortoise, and am expecting the worst, hoping for the best. This first month has been rough for him/her, and I wonder what the long term effects will be. I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum, and if my new pet meets his demise, I know I will be much more prepared during round 2. But again, I'm hoping for the best.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
How is your tortoise doing, @cait_lr? I also bought a new hatchling sulcata from Tortoise Town about a month ago, and I did not have the wonderful information found on this forum to guide me. My tortoise was also lethargic and not eating, worse over the last week. While I am in the process of creating a more suitable enclosure, tin foil has come to my aid and I am able to maintain temps above 80 and humidity above 80%. And my tortoise is much happier, seems to be eating better, and more active. However, given what Tom has said, I worry about the long term prognosis for my tortoise, and am expecting the worst, hoping for the best. This first month has been rough for him/her, and I wonder what the long term effects will be. I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum, and if my new pet meets his demise, I know I will be much more prepared during round 2. But again, I'm hoping for the best.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I guess we're in the same boat here! As for Hubert, there have been a ton of ups and downs this week, but I still have high hopes for him. There have literally been days where he won't move an inch, to days where he runs all over the place and eats like a monster.
I'm glad to know your tortoise is getting better, and I hope he has a successful recovery. Raising the temps should definitely help! I didn't know about the foil trick until just now, I feel so bad when I think about all the heat that had been escaping these past months. Good thing you caught it early, though.
And I agree, the long run is definitely worry some, but we should still enjoy every second we have with them and do all we can to ensure they live happy lives from here. :) I would love for you to keep me updated on the little guy, and best wishes.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think he may have too much difficulty getting to his water and food. I would sink the water dish more deeply into the substrate AND put a few stones in it. Also I would just use a rough tile or flat stone for the food dish.
He is adorable, and I very much hope he can make a good recovery. You are getting very good advice here about everything else!

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
I think he may have too much difficulty getting to his water and food. I would sink the water dish more deeply into the substrate AND put a few stones in it. Also I would just use a rough tile or flat stone for the food dish.
He is adorable, and I very much hope he can make a good recovery. You are getting very good advice here about everything else!

Oh, great catch. Thank you, I will definitely make that adjustment! :)