Possible mbd and pyramiding, details below

TedsMate

Location (City and/or State)
Sunderland
I've made a post on the tortoise subreddit and they've told me to come here The shells have pyrmided slightly and are now dipping in between the rows of scutes. I'm very worried so any advice nesesery please send my way

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you please advise the following:
1. Heat source and temperature control
2. Lights- UVB and basking need type and wattage
3. Temps- hot/cold sides & basking
4. Diet and supplements
5. How often and for how long do you soak
6. Type of substrate and pictures of enclosure

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Welcome @TedsMate thanks for bringing this here, reddit isnt the best for advice, you get a lot of posts there by people that do not know what they are talking about.

Im not expert, as I said, but if you can provide the basic details about your setup that Blackdog asks for we can assess what is going wrong, and it will help us understand the severity of the issue better. Better pics of the torts shell might help also, this site makes it easy to upload photos directly so lot of pics is always helpful. The best light to photograph your tort in is ambient natural light.

To answer a couple questions from reddit, It looks like its a little dry in your enclosure. The woodchips give that away some but the shells condition does also. The pyrammidding is almost certainly to do at least partly with humidity being too low, use the search function to find "humid hide" and make one. The other give away is the discoloured white bits of the pigmented areas of the shell you mentioned, probably due to excessive shell dryness, just karatin drying out and breaking down. To maintain humidity you need to use an appropriate substrate like Coco Coir fibre, use enough depth that it can absorb enough water to stay damp. Also soak your torts for half hour every day in warm water. Just a few initial steps to take before we find out more info from you.

Here is the caresheet for your torts -

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Last edited: