possible emergency (mouth foam)

Camirdra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
My Sulcata all of a sudden cut loose with a massive amount of dark brown urine (diarrhea?) with brown solids in it and is foaming at the mouth. I am in the waiting room at the vet in a total panic. Has anyone experienced this before? He is a rescue I have had for 2 Yrs so I have no idea how old he is. he weighs 13 lbs and came to me with a terrible shell and could not support his own weight. I'll attach some pics.

Attachments

• tmp_20140324_1757581868336667.jpg
    tmp_20140324_1757581868336667.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150

Dorrie Siu

RE: possible emergency

Oh dear. I don't know much about this other than that foaming at the mouth could be heatstroke. So all I have to add are my good wishes for your baby. Please keep us posted.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA

Thanks Dorrie Siu. The vet got his mouth open and although his tongue looks ok his mouth tissue is swollen. Waiting for the vet to come back into the room.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Foaming mouth is usually either poison consumption or over heating

HJ1983

New York City
possible emergency

I don't know much on the subject but you're in my thoughts and I'm sending good thoughts out to the universe for your guy. Do you think maybe he ate a toxic plant?

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA

tffnytorts said:
Foaming mouth is usually either poison consumption or over heating

Poison was my worry. It hit a whopping 66F today so I setup the pen and let the torts graze. he was only in a 5' wide circle on the lawn for an hr or so and I was right there. Nothing for him to get poisoned from. Overheating isn't possible either. The vet gave him a vitamin B shot and sent home some antibiotics that I have to give him.... orally. That will be a challenge. He's going to a soak and then into quarantine with some higher heat. I'll keep you all posted.

Dorrie Siu

No plants in your yard that could have posed a problem? I know you were watching him but maybe a bird dropped a seed to something that grew and blended in with what's already in your yard.

Gosh now this is making me think of what's been happening around here. People are putting out poisoned meatballs. Raw hamburger laced with poison. Hiding them in places where dogs sniff around.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: possible emergency

Dorrie Siu said:
Gosh now this is making me think of what's been happening around here. People are putting out poisoned meatballs. Raw hamburger laced with poison. Hiding them in places where dogs sniff around.

I'm 89% sure that's illegal. I would call the Fish and Game department of your area and complain.
That makes me SO mad its not funny. What if I was walking my dog in a new neighborhood, and he ate something? I'd be like "no big deal". Then he'd get SICK. What the heck!? There's no sane reason for people to do that!
I very much think that you should get the police involved.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

What has he been eating? Stuff with high water content will cause the poop . Did they do a fecal? Parasites could cause the poop to . As for the foaming at the mouth did he just drink and eat? Because he could have had something stuck in his throat and he was spitting it up maybe .

As for poisoning of dogs that is illegal and something needs to be said . Some poeple need to be hit in the head with a hammer . So they don't reproduce!

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA

Dorrie Siu said:
No plants in your yard that could have posed a problem? I know you were watching him but maybe a bird dropped a seed to something that grew and blended in with what's already in your yard.

I suppose it is possible, the snow just melted last week and the grass is very short (not even long enough to now yet.)

Dorrie Siu said:

This is horrible AND illegal. I would turn it in if I ever saw it although It has happened in our city, someone was putting nails in chunks of meat and leaving it out for dogs. I don't believe they ever caught the person :(

The area we live in is nice and I can't imagine anyone doing that here but you never know. The vet was baffled because Lonestar had a swollen mouth but his tongue and eyes were not. his color is good and he has stopped foaming at the mouth and now just has a runny nose and slight drool. He hasn't passed anymore dark urine or urates since the first time. Though he passed so much I doubt there is much left to pass. There were a few hard spots in the pirates about the diameter of a pencil.
I will keep a close eye on him and probably lose sleep even though I know worrying won't help.

Thanks for all the well wishes :)

He has been indoors for winter and I feed grass hay, Mazuri, fresh veggies and the occasional bit of strawberry or pumpkin. We didn't get a fecal and the vet said it was urine and pirates not diarrhea. He had just eaten grass from outside, it was his first trip out this year and the other tort was in the same pen and is fine.

He seems to be ok. I slipped the meds into a raspberry and he swallowed it right up. I know fruit is bad but there is no way I can get his mouth open on my own. He's so stubborn!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Are you feeding wet mazui daily? If so stop an go to two to three times a week . But if he is eating hay and weeds save your money and stop the mazuri or feed as a treat once or twice a week . I would like to know why he was foaming at the mouth .

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

Foaming at the mouth can also be a sign of pneumonia. Hopefully the antibiotics will work. Keep him warm and well hydrated. Keep us updated in his progress.

Dorrie Siu

possible emergency

tffnytorts said:
Dorrie Siu said:

I'm 89% sure that's illegal. I would call the Fish and Game department of your area and complain.
That makes me SO mad its not funny. What if I was walking my dog in a new neighborhood, and he ate something? I'd be like "no big deal". Then he'd get SICK. What the heck!? There's no sane reason for people to do that!
I very much think that you should get the police involved.

Its all over the news in San Francisco. Some have died because of this. They still don't know who has been doing this.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA

I alternate the Mazuri and grass hay during the winter just because grass hay gets pricey that time of year. When its warm enough to put them outside I just let them graze and give them occasional treats, every dandylion I cand find in my yard, and access to cuttlebone.

I just checked and he is still a bit foamy but not like he was. I got a pic...

FYI... my phones spell check changes "urates" to "pirates" just in case you were wondering what the heck I was talking about lol!

Attachments

• tmp_20140324_220550598741517.jpg
    tmp_20140324_220550598741517.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 96

Dorrie Siu

Maybe he was brushing his beak when you weren't looking and that's toothpaste...

Just kidding. Trying to make you smile. :D

Glad he is stabilizing.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Lonestar is doing better. He has stopped foaming at the mouth and has not made any more funky messes. He looks like he is feeling better too. He has a bit of a wheeze now when he breathes. not sure if it's from all that mucus yesterday or if he came down with a RI. He was fine yesterday morning so it all hit at once or at least the symptoms all showed at once.
The vet said aside from this he looks great. His shell is no longer soft and he supports his own weight like he has been stomping around happily his whole life.
When I was given them a few years ago they both had soft plastrons and sores on their legs and they literally dragged themselves to move. They have both come a long way. I was planning on renaming them this year but I may have to wait.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If anything like this ever happens again, it never hurts to soak, soak, soak. Put the tortoise in warm water, if its sunny, in partial shade, and let him stay in there for 15 minutes or so. But keep watching to be sure he doesn't tip over.

If the foaming was due to something he ate, or over heating, then soaking isn't going to do any harm, and may do a whole lot of good.

Soaking never hurts.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Yeah. He had a good soak after the vet and will get another after his meds tonight. He loves soaks :)

I found moss in the grass. Does anyone know if there is a toxic moss? I can't find any info on it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How is he normally housed and what are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?