Possible age range for my male?

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
So I got my male Russian 2 months ago from Petsmart. I know, it’s Petsmart, but he caught my eye and was so spunky that I just had to pick him up.

i have two females, everyone is in separate enclosures. Milton, the male I’m speaking of, is super tiny. Not hatchling tiny, but probably “just recently imported from the other side of the world” tiny. I read that Russians need to be 4” to import, and he’s maybe a half a centimeter over that.

I do know males are always going to be smaller than females. My females, who were surrendered and whom I adopted from agencies, are massive compared to Milton. Delilah, my big girl, is 8.5”, and Becky is 6.25”. I also know that they probably grow slower in the wild, So Milt might be older than I think.

milton also weighs around 300 grams. Delilah for example is over 5x heavier at 1600 grams.

does anyone have experience with wild caught males and how slowly or quickly they grow?

attached is Milton. I can also attach a pic of all 3 torts.

Attachments

• 3B9F37AF-D40D-4D2D-A0FF-92BBC427FA15.jpeg
    3B9F37AF-D40D-4D2D-A0FF-92BBC427FA15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
So I got my male Russian 2 months ago from Petsmart. I know, it’s Petsmart, but he caught my eye and was so spunky that I just had to pick him up.

i have two females, everyone is in separate enclosures. Milton, the male I’m speaking of, is super tiny. Not hatchling tiny, but probably “just recently imported from the other side of the world” tiny. I read that Russians need to be 4” to import, and he’s maybe a half a centimeter over that.

I do know males are always going to be smaller than females. My females, who were surrendered and whom I adopted from agencies, are massive compared to Milton. Delilah, my big girl, is 8.5”, and Becky is 6.25”. I also know that they probably grow slower in the wild, So Milt might be older than I think.

milton also weighs around 300 grams. Delilah for example is over 5x heavier at 1600 grams.

does anyone have experience with wild caught males and how slowly or quickly they grow?

attached is Milton. I can also attach a pic of all 3 torts.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't measure my Russian in centimeters or grams so I don't know. But this much I do know my tortoise is about 5". He's about the same size he was when I got him 13 years ago. He's possibly around 18 years. I'm not going to wake him up to weigh him. But I can't hardly wait to see the answers. Best wishes.?