portable/collapsible pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
Can anyone refer me to some threads here that depict a portable wire pen to place in the yard to allow tortoises grazing opportunities? I have a friend that needs to get their tortoise out for 'walks' in the yard, and I want to show them a pen design. Something portable that can be positioned over the lawn and tortoise that would provide protection from predators.

Thanks!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
well, from what ive seen/done ive just nailed a couple 2x4's to make a square put some chicken wire on top and i move it when i need to for them to eat more grass

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Depends on the size of the tortoise. I essentially did the same as jobeanator but used 2x8's since I have 7" Leopards as well as 5" Russians. So both have plenty of clearance.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Doc!

Seems to me that a wire enclosure for dogs could be used, as long as wire hooks were used to secure it temporarily to the ground (Much like the wire hooks that come with a tent, you know.. one side is short and the other side is long, to go into the ground) & since they are collapsable, it could be used at any given area and stored easily when not in use..

Here's a link to the kind of enclosure I'm thinking of...

http://www.petco.com/product/5874/Precision-Pet-Eight-Panel-Wire-Pens.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

And another link for the kind of spikes I was referring to...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RB2D2A...d=AG275D7O3JJ72&tag=dealt5780-20&linkCode=asn

Perhaps that will help? Good luck to you & your pal, Doc ~
:) Purpod

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
These are fairly reasonable at Petsmart, and would be easy to build if youre handy enough :D

Lynn

Attachments

• tortpen.jpg
    tortpen.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 34

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
When my Leo's still lived in the house, I used a portable dog pen like Purpod suggested (luckily, I already owned one that I used when my dogs were pups). I used it again when I was changing their yard from 2x12s to concrete block walls last year. I had a piece of bird netting that I put on top so that the crows (and peregrin falcon) that live in my neighborhood couldn't get them.

It worked well, and was easily moved around the lawn. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Xllnt, glad to be of help, Doc.

Looking forward to meeting Mrs. Doc at our 2nd Annual So Cal TFO Meeting :cool:

Blessings to all,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.