Population types of red and yellow foots

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Sam [ floridaiguana.com ] advertises "Giant - Barbados" - my source ( the breeder that produced the Bolivian's @Will has ) claims = Venezuelan redfoot tortoises were introduced to Barbados.. they are NOT a distinct locale! Some would say they are the typical "Clown-face" from Venezuela.

And the reason there are so many "color-variants" among redfoots we see today is mainly because of the practice of housing any/all locales together where they 'co-mingle' and make a rainbow of colors.. doubtful many young ones are "locale-specific. [ less than 20 years old ].

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Looks like a Venezuelan to me.. via Barbados??? May we see the plastron please @rmn813 ?

Thanks @Redfoot NERD. Here's a plastron shot. I was thinking Barbados because almost all of the individuals that I've seen labeled "Barbados" have the large colored scales on their front legs. I haven't introduced her to any males until I can get a better read on her locale. I'm a proponent of keeping locales together.

20181214-143903.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thank you ... as suspected.
Where did you come up with the " "Barbados" have the large colored scales on their front legs. " ? Very few redfoot tortoises [ regardless locale ] DON'T have -- that's where they got their name! That's a Venezuelan - most today come from farms there. Or they are called Barbados redfoots by the fore mentioned -- believe what you like @rmn813 .. doesn't change anything.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Do you know anyone working with Venezuelan RF's? I'd be interested in acquiring more.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
You didn't answer my question @rmn813

I will try to find a good photo representation of the contrast that I'm referring to. Those labeled Barbados have much larger and more pronounced colored scales compared to a typical northern or even a Brazilian RF.