Pops the tortoise-1, me-0

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I’ve been locked in battle with my tortoise, Pops since the beginning of April. At that time I stopped buying grocery store greens to supplement his broadleaf weed diet. There was only about a 2 month period (February and March) when the frost was heavy and I was buying grocery greens for him but he got so hooked that he has refused to eat the weeds and plants that I usually feed him. But I know from being here on the forum that this is common and I just needed to be more determined than him and mix weeds and store greens and change the ratio slowly and don’t give up. But he just started sleeping more and more and stopped even looking at his food. I dig him up often, make him go for walks, soak him of course but he just won’t eat more than a bite here and there. On March 1st he weighed 556g (his heaviest weight ever) and now he weighs 497g. Today I gave in. He won. I can’t handle it. I bough his favorite radicchio and mixed in about 5% weeds (which he ate around). He ate like a guy who hasn’t had a meal in 4 and a half months. Sigh. Any words of wisdom, forum friends? Should I have continued the fight? How long is too long to not eat?